PDA

View Full Version : Paul Lagasi's Big Year - The One That Got Away

Cheryl Slechta
04-09-2014, 04:19 PM
If everyone's email looks like mine I'm sure they'd understand why it took me 3 months to unearth the email with this image that Paul had a friend take of us while he was in Micanopy. If you've followed Paul's blog he was finishing up his Big Year in January and came to Florida. I met him in Micanopy and accompanied him for a couple of days while he looked for several species to reach his goal of 500. (He brought the Canada cold weather with him as you can see by our outfits). Unfortunately, Florida let him down. All he needed was a Bachman's Sparrow but no matter how hard he tried (1,700 miles in Florida) he couldn't seem to see one.:eek3:

Kerry Perkins
04-09-2014, 07:25 PM
Oh man! Come on Florida, what's the deal? :c3: Well, that must be a bummer but I would be glad to just be able to try it at all! Congrats on your 99.99% though Paul!

Anita Bower
04-10-2014, 11:52 AM
Thanks for sharing the picture and story. Too bad about that last bird! An ambitious goal.

Judy Howle
04-10-2014, 02:43 PM
I enjoyed seeing the photo of you two and hearing the story. I am sorry Paul didn't find the last bird.

Nancy Bell
04-10-2014, 07:01 PM
But wait...what's that sparrow on his shoulder :2eyes2:! And heavy clothes in Florida? Something is not as it should be! Anyway, nice to see the people behind the cameras!

Paul Lagasi
04-10-2014, 09:54 PM
LOLOLOL.....I've been away for a few days chasing birds, I saw this yesterday on my cell but thought I'd wait to comment today. Never saw the sparrow on my shoulder, very nice touch Cheryl. Was a good time at Paynes Prairie, I remember when that big Alligator grunted when I tried to take its photo and we both jumped. Thanks again.

Jackie Schuknecht
04-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Too bad you didn't reach your goal, must have been a blast going for it.

Randall Farhy
04-11-2014, 01:33 PM
Sounds like good times and great memories for both, bummer about that Sparrow-perhaps reason enough to go again sometime!

Mark Fuge
04-13-2014, 10:59 PM
Was that by chance the week that a flock of those critter were sighted sitting on the Manatee, in front of the visitor's center at Homosassa Manatee State Park, over here on Hwy 19? Seem to recall something about that in the local paper. A front page story about some one chasing them out of the central area of the state. Might that have been you two?

Thanks for bringing the weather with you as well. Coldest it's been down here in the 14 years we've been here. At least you didn't bring the snow with you. ; > )