PDA

View Full Version : Talon in the eye

Troy Lim
04-08-2014, 10:13 PM
http://www.troylimphotography.com/Nature/Screech-Owls/i-Zkd6hKr/0/XL/_TLP2764-copy-XL.jpg

The adult flew in and handed the prey to this owlet. After reviewing the series, I could not wait to process this image to share it with all of you. The adult's talon was on the baby's eye. How he wasn't blind from that is beyond me. The baby is fine and got fed after being push from the top by its sibling and stepped on by its parent.
1Dx, 200-400L, 1/320, f/14, ISO1600, Two Flashes, Manual

Colin Driscoll
04-09-2014, 05:00 AM
Good behavioural shot. Looks like the nictitating membrane projected the eye. I also like the eye of the other chick peering through the wing feathers. Neat.

Marina Scarr
04-09-2014, 08:16 AM
Pretty amazing behavior image you captured here. Thank goodness it looks as though the tip of the adult's talon landed just above the owlet's eye. It must be quite an experience to be able to watch this pair raise their family.

Do they do any hunting and feeding before sunset also?

Troy Lim
04-09-2014, 08:28 AM
Pretty amazing behavior image you captured here. Thank goodness it looks as though the tip of the adult's talon landed just above the owlet's eye. It must be quite an experience to be able to watch this pair raise their family.

Do they do any hunting and feeding before sunset also?

Thank you all.
Marina, not that I have seen this year at this nest. As soon as right after sunset, the adults would then show up, that is when the hunting and feeding happens. I wish I could be there in the morning to learn more about their behaviors. Babies did not poke their heads out until end of last week and they would do that throughout the day. Curiosity gets the best of them.