PDA

View Full Version : Theme Zebras

Nancy Bell
04-08-2014, 03:49 PM
I converted this with PS B&W tweaking the sliders, plus added a slight antique tint with NIK silver effex pro. As I was looking through my zebras in my Namibia/Etosha file I liked the look these two were giving each other and the laid back ears as they passed. Wish I had more space at the top and that one ear was not so white & nearly without details. I was just so excited to be photographing in Africa and so close to the animals! This was taken a few years ago and I am looking forward to my next visit with updated equipment and hopefully "updated" me! I leave this Saturday for Botswana & then Cape Town, South Africa :bg3:.

Canon 40D, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS @ 200, 1/1500, f8, ISO 400, exposure compensation -1/2.

Comments and critiques very welcome.

Sid Garige
04-08-2014, 06:16 PM
Nancy,

Like the image. For the eye contact makes it up for lack of space on the top. I am not a big fan of square crops but I am interested in seeing what you and others think about this re crop.

Rachel Hollander
04-08-2014, 06:45 PM
Hi Nancy - I like the antique treatment and zebras make such great subjects for conversions. I do prefer Sid's crop but the clipped ears and the lack of details, not just on the ear, mean that this one doesn't really work for me. Sorry. I'm sure you'll have more opportunities on this trip. Looking forward to seeing what you come back with. Have a great trip.

TFS,
Rachel

John Robinson
04-08-2014, 08:17 PM
Have a good one Nancy - take care
John

Steve Kaluski
04-09-2014, 01:03 PM
Hi Nancy, I would lose the RH zebra, the left one as more detail and impact with some nice tonal range.

You will have fun in Bots, get them when allowed to fly low between camps :S3:. Can you PM with the camps, stayed in many and may have some pointers. You should have flagged this up sooner, Grant may have been able to help too.

Stay safe, enjoy and come back with awesome images, it's a great place.

TFS
Steve

Gabriela Plesea
04-09-2014, 04:08 PM
Hello Nancy,

I like the image with the two zebra in it, and Sid has done a great job with his proposed crop (well Sid, now you ARE a fan of square crops:t3, and I like what you did!).
Hope you have an amazing trip and wonderful sightings Nancy, Botswana is amazing, I really look forward to see your images when you return, travel safe!

Kind regards,

Morkel Erasmus
04-10-2014, 02:51 AM
Nancy, glad that you've got an Africa trip upcoming! :5 Looking forward to your images...

This one - I would crop out the ears totally, on both zebras. Crop closer to the faces, might show you tonight what I mean as I'm not at home now.
As is - not working for me, but the crop I suggested sprang out at me immediately...

Nancy Bell
04-10-2014, 03:38 PM
Thanks all for your good suggestions. Think I'll leave this one and concentrate on getting newer images in the coming weeks. I'm staying at 2 lodges in Kasane and taking river trips & day trips into the park. But for my next trip, I'll check in with you guys about camps, etc.

Morkel Erasmus
04-10-2014, 04:36 PM
before you jet off Nancy, here's what I saw in my mind's eye today
added more contrast and dropped the exposure too
WDYT??

Andre Pretorius
04-11-2014, 01:36 PM
Nice one Nancy!

If you visit Northern KZN, give us a ring or drop a line.

Stunning image, love Morkel's take!

Cheers

Andre

Nancy Bell
04-11-2014, 06:58 PM
Morkel, I never would have thought of that and it does remove much of the problems. THANKS! It does work for me.