PDA

View Full Version : Backswimmer

John Robinson
04-08-2014, 03:35 PM
Notonecta glauca (Also known here as back swimmers as these hang upside down on the water surface.) Strange how big the water surface looks in macro ! These are bugs and can give a pinful little nip when they stick it in you !!
Usual tank set up. Camera pop up flash and one smal slave above tank
D7000
Sigma 50mm macro
200ISO F18
70% of frame.
Usual PP in PSPro7
Cheers
JohnR
PS Steve- notice this one has fungus too.

Steve Maxson
04-09-2014, 10:08 AM
Hi John. These are cool insects and I need to work on these more. I like the head on view that includes the surface and a bit of reflection. Nice details and a good job on the eyes - (the backswimmers over here have highly reflective eyes that tend to light up when flashed). There is a narrow white line on the left edge of the frame that could easily be cropped away. Also, if this was mine, I'd probably clone the flash-generated highlight on the abdomen - a couple very minor tweaks to a strong image. This is another good example of the things (in this case some fungus?) that attach to the exoskeletons of aquatic inverts.

Nancy Bell
04-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Great upside down position & spread legs pose of this critter! I'm totally amazed at the thickness of the water surface, especially in relation to the size of the insect. Plus how little of the layer the insect actually connects with. It appears that one leg is not even touching that layer. It does makes a great "perch". Perfect color palette of greens and browns. You guys make a great case for getting an aquarium to photograph water insects.

John Robinson
04-10-2014, 07:13 PM
Thanks Nancy
Its great fun doing aquatic stuff when not much else is happening.
If you want any help on making small custom tanks feel free to ask. There is one very easy method which costs nothing. Two bits of glass- one piece of silicone tubing(various diameters according to subject)-- and two bulldog clips to hold it together.
Simple
John