PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Egret with Mullet...

Joseph Przybyla
04-08-2014, 09:18 AM
I captured this image at the city fishing pier on Anna Maria Island, Florida. I have kept going back to it, starting again, trying to get it to something I liked. This is my most recent edit. I like it now. Comments and critiques welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 55-300mm F/4.5-5.6 VR AF shot at 300mm 450mm FFE)
1/1600 F/5.6 ISO 180

Raybel Robles
04-08-2014, 10:56 AM
A very nice image! I really like this kind of images white on white for some reason.

My only wish was for a better head turn or angle from the bird. Like a higher POV would had made the image perfect, as it feels a bit pointing upwards.

But a great image nonetheless. :)

stuart wanuck
04-08-2014, 01:51 PM
Nice image joe. Would appreciate a phone call from you going up to Lakeland this weekend want to check with you erg bird sites
please call Stuart 561-685-2613. Your e mail does not work thanks

Karl Egressy
04-08-2014, 05:50 PM
Nice high key image Joe, I like it.

Iain Barker
04-08-2014, 05:55 PM
I like the high key image and the fact the eye of the fish is visible.

Don Railton
04-08-2014, 06:46 PM
Very Nice hi Key image Joe.. I would work on the fish details a little.. I think a few scales and a bit of silver would add heaps if you can work it up..

DON

Joseph Przybyla
04-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Thank you all for viewing, commenting and offering suggestions. I worked on the fish as was suggested. Increasing the clarity on just the fish seemed to work best.

Miguel Palaviccini
04-08-2014, 07:38 PM
I like the final look of this high-key image.

I would have to agree that the head angle isn't ideal. I'd go back and go for something similar, keeping in mind the head angle.

Marina Scarr
04-08-2014, 09:08 PM
This image is working for me, esp the RP. The HA isn't an issue for me b/c of the crazy crown on the egret's head and the fish. It all came together very nicely on this amazing action/behavior image!

Troy Lim
04-08-2014, 10:10 PM
I love this image, however, I would love to see the 16x24 crop, I feel that would work better than the tighter crop.

christopher galeski
04-09-2014, 04:35 AM
One beautiful image,well done.

Joseph Przybyla
04-09-2014, 04:55 AM
Thanks again all for viewing, commenting and offering suggestions.

Troy, here is the 16x24 crop that you suggested. I like it. It seems to fit the shape of the head and bill of the egret better. Thank you for suggesting it.

Marina Scarr
04-09-2014, 07:35 AM
I do prefer your most recent RP in terms of comp. Good advice by Troy.

Mike Landwehr
04-09-2014, 08:42 AM
I also like the wider crop a little better. It is a very interesting image. The head angle doesn't concern me as much as it would in most other images. The presence of the fish's eye is a big plus on this image. The white on white with the splash of black and yellow has high impact. I think the parallel curves of the fish's white body and the egret's white neck, tied together with the diagonal of the egret's head and bill, are very strong lines, and make the image.

Bill Dix
04-09-2014, 12:58 PM
Love the high key, and both eyes showing. Last repost works well for me. HA noted but image still very nice.

Arthur Morris
04-09-2014, 03:25 PM
I like the high key look, the wider repost, and the fish. Raybel nailed it by suggesting getting higher.... I am wondering what happened to the lower part of the neck; it seems to have disappeared.

Were you feeding the birds from a bucket?

Joseph Przybyla
04-10-2014, 08:21 AM
Marina, Mike, Bill and Arthur, thank you for viewing and commenting. Your input helps me gain Knowledge and insight in this journey.

Arthur, as I raised the exposure the lower right of the bird faded out. It was a balance to get the head and fish looking as I wanted. I can still see the lower part on my display although not as distinct as the neck and head. No feeding of the bird was used. The bird stole the fish from a fisherman's bucket and flew to the top of a shed roof. That is where I captured the image so a lower angle was not possible.

Arthur Morris
04-10-2014, 05:36 PM
Thanks Joe. I was thinking that the more visible feathers of the head and neck were wet from their visit to somebody's bucket.... Ah--Sanibel Fishing Pier?

Joseph Przybyla
04-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Thanks Joe. I was thinking that the more visible feathers of the head and neck were wet from their visit to somebody's bucket.... Ah--Sanibel Fishing Pier?

Hi Artie, not Sanibel but Anna Maria Island city fishing pier. Whenever we are in the area we spend some time there with the cameras.

Arthur Morris
04-11-2014, 07:13 PM
Hi Artie, not Sanibel but Anna Maria Island city fishing pier. Whenever we are in the area we spend some time there with the cameras.

Thanks Joe. Great for us that generations of fisherman have trained the birds to fish in their bait buckets :)