PDA

View Full Version : Lines in the Sand

Dvir Barkay
04-08-2014, 08:58 AM

Ripples in the dunes with nice side lighting from the rising sun. I liked how they lead to the lone desert plant living precariously on the dunes. I can't imagine the exposure in the summer! I know it isn't quite balanced with more room on the right hand side, but I just couldn't bring myself to crop the beautiful textures. Its a bit tight on top, but my lens just wasn't wide enough.

Sony A100, Sony 16-50/2.8, F/8, ISO 100, RAW, 2012, NIK B&W, slight posterization on top in the sky, I think its the jpeg compression

Don Railton
04-10-2014, 05:43 AM
Hi Dvir. I like the lines in the sand, the textures and your B&W tones. Posterisation noted... While the tree is interesting I am not sure it adds a lot of appeal to the image IMHO, and I guess that's because I'm a lover of images that exploit the curves and textures in dunes like this. The tree blocks those elements which I can see behind the tree. Just my take, others might be different...It's a landscape I would love to shoot...

Regards

Don

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dvir Barkay
04-10-2014, 08:09 AM
Thanks Don, yes it is an amazing landscape, Death Valley is one of my favorite in the US, even after seeing over 25 all over the USA. I personally liked the plants, but I agree they take up a bit more space then they ought too, wish I had a true wide angle lens for these situations, sometimes 24mm on full frame isn't wide enough.

David Stephens
04-10-2014, 02:50 PM
I love the textures, lines and shadows on the sand and the mountains in the BG. I agree with you that the plant adds interest, but I also see Don's POV that the sand, sky and mountains could have added up to a strong image also. I lean toward your interpretation due to the lack of much happening in the sky.

Andrew McLachlan
04-12-2014, 05:23 PM
Hi Dvir, I too agree with you self-critique...I love the textures and ripples in the sand...for me I am wondering if the uppermost sky needs just a little bit of lightening.

Hazel Grant
04-14-2014, 04:12 PM
I think the tree adds interesting texture to the picture.

Morkel Erasmus
04-17-2014, 06:25 AM
Nice tonal range/contrast and use of leading lines here Dvir.
I would also have liked the tree less prominent (or even gone altogether)...