PDA

View Full Version : Another Black bellied plover in flight

arash_hazeghi
04-08-2014, 12:45 AM
Here is another frame from Redwood shores, CA. This one is an adult BB plover. hope you like it

1DX 600II +1.4X III f/5.6 1/3200sec ISO 800.handheld.

ramesh anantharaman
04-08-2014, 01:57 AM
Just love the light, and the feather details here...

Ian Wilson
04-08-2014, 02:02 AM
And another great wader flight shot - the feather detail is remarkable. You have set the bar very high.
Cheers, Ian

Mike Poole
04-08-2014, 02:17 AM
More great work Arash, the kind of shot that photographers really appreciate due to the difficulty level

shane shacaluga
04-08-2014, 03:49 AM
You nailed it again!!!!

Super ;)

Agree with the above comments on the remarkable feather details of breast area and around the thighs

Colin Driscoll
04-08-2014, 04:25 AM
Top shot as always! A bit of optical illusion for me- took me a while to work out what wing was showing.

Troy Lim
04-08-2014, 06:48 AM
Near wing is not ideal but nailing this guy in flight is not easy. Good job.

Frank Schauf
04-08-2014, 08:18 AM
Excellent flight pose and sharp details.

Bill Dix
04-08-2014, 08:46 AM
And another beauty. Great wing position, slight head turn, and nice water bg. Feels just a bit contrasty on my screen.

Raybel Robles
04-08-2014, 09:52 AM
Superb image! I agree with the above comment of a bit optical illusion :)

I tried very hard to get this guys in flight while there was a flock of about 50 here where I live, but never managed to get a good one. They are very shy and fly very fast, maybe some other day with more patience and practice. But I do know how difficult it is! So I admire your work here! well done.

Jim Neiger
04-08-2014, 10:07 AM
Well done, Arash! The light and details are amazing. BG is awesome too.

arash_hazeghi
04-08-2014, 10:10 AM
Top shot as always! A bit of optical illusion for me- took me a while to work out what wing was showing.

Thanks Colin, only near wing is showing (underside). It's pretty clear. the plover earned his name because of the black patch

Daniel Cadieux
04-08-2014, 11:24 AM
Awesome image Arash!! Great light and details, and I also love the blue water BG.

Troy, the near wing is in perfect full upstroke position with the black feathers being the "armpit" (the far wing is hidden from view).

John Robinson
04-08-2014, 04:06 PM
All been said Arash
.Cant add anything except that its brilliant !
Cheers
John

Marina Scarr
04-08-2014, 09:15 PM
Killer image, Arash. It's tough to decipher exactly what's going on here b/c of the plumage. Lovely BG and nice angle and perfect details.

christopher galeski
04-09-2014, 04:42 AM
Excellent image,flight pose,sharpness,detail,BG,bang on.well done.

David Salem
04-09-2014, 08:36 AM
You sure had a good session with these shorebirds. Really sharp and great feather detail and I like the detail in the feet. The shooting angle is perfect without a shadow seen and I like the full up wing position you captured. Fantastic shot and one of your best from your shooting location.

Lorant Voros
04-09-2014, 10:58 AM
I often talk about you with my photographer friends, Arash, mentioning images like this. I know technology and the gear helps, but still, it is just incredible to see your BIF images. Top notch until the fine details!

Arthur Morris
04-09-2014, 03:29 PM
Thanks Colin, only near wing is showing (underside). It's pretty clear. the plover earned his name because of the black patch

Arash. You ought to try your hand at flight photography. The stark black feathers here are as Dan said, the armpit feathers, more properly know as the axillaries. The bird actually gets its name from the black belly that it sports in breeding plumage.

Arthur Morris
04-09-2014, 03:31 PM
I often talk about you with my photographer friends, Arash, mentioning images like this. I know technology and the gear helps, but still, it is just incredible to see your BIF images. Top notch until the fine details!

Hi Lorant et al. The technology that Arash uses for flight is available to the 1000s of bird photographers who own a 600 II, a 1.4X III, and a 1D X. Very few if any can produce images anywhere near as good as Arash's on a consistent basis..... Not to mention that handing the 600 is quite a chore for most.

arash_hazeghi
04-09-2014, 03:42 PM
Arash. You ought to try your hand at flight photography. The stark black feathers here are as Dan said, the armpit feathers, more properly know as the axillaries. The bird actually gets its name from the black belly that it sports in breeding plumage.

you are right, I meant the belly black feathers. the plumage is amazingly different between adults and juveniles!

Lorant Voros
04-09-2014, 03:51 PM
Hi Lorant et al. The technology that Arash uses for flight is available to the 1000s of bird photographers who own a 600 II, a 1.4X III, and a 1D X. Very few if any can produce images anywhere near as good as Arash's on a consistent basis..... Not to mention that handing the 600 is quite a chore for most.

For sure. And Arash was already producing images of this kind and quality with his old gear. So my statement still stands....hat's off.

Arthur Morris
04-10-2014, 05:40 AM
you are right, I meant the belly black feathers. the plumage is amazingly different between adults and juveniles!

Don't forget the winter plumage adults that are simply grey above and light below. All have the black axillaries. Is this a recent image? If yes, the bird is molting into breeding or alternate plumage.

arash_hazeghi
04-10-2014, 11:14 PM
Don't forget the winter plumage adults that are simply grey above and light below. All have the black axillaries. Is this a recent image? If yes, the bird is molting into breeding or alternate plumage.

This one is molting indeed, I photographed juvis too like this one

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/118899-Black-bellied-plover-in-flight

which I first thought was a golden plover :bg3:

sajjadbahrini
04-18-2014, 08:48 AM
Hi arash

فرستاده شده از GT-I8262ِ من با Tapatalk