PDA

View Full Version : Toothwort

John Robinson
04-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Lathraea squamaria.
This strange plant is a parasite- usually on Hazel roots. Just coming into flower now. No leaves obviously as it doesnt need any. It looses the pink colour quickly so you have to catch it right. My teeth look like that in a morning !!!
D7100
Sigma 50 mm macro. Home made ground pod.
5 stacked shots included one to show a bit of detail in the backdrop.
200 ISO 50th sec @f 5
Paintshop pro levels. CZM for stacking.
Cheers
JohnR

Steve Maxson
04-07-2014, 02:29 PM
Hi John. This is a cool looking plant with an interesting life history - and your stacking method shows it off beautifully! Love the soft light and the ground level view. The background greens look pretty bright on my monitor - you might selectively decrease the saturation on those. This is very well done!

John Robinson
04-07-2014, 02:34 PM
Thanks Steve
Thats the trouble with Springtime - the greens are so bright !- and everything is early over here.
John
PS Funny nancy asking about "sriders" or skaters as we call them.
I spent an hour doing them yesterday !! Not easy at all and when I get down to their level I can't get up again !!

John Robinson
04-08-2014, 07:01 PM
Steve
Had a go but wasn't as easy as it looked !
John

Nancy Bell
04-10-2014, 04:33 PM
John, very interesting plant & very nice ground POV (I understand about knees & trying to get up again!). I prefer the bkgd of the OP. It is softer & with less distracting areas of light. The stacking gives good depth to the plant. I also like that the mound of foreground soil is in good focus.

Jerry van Dijk
04-13-2014, 12:38 PM
This is a very special flower John, one I have never seen. Although it occurs in Holland, its very rare here. Stacking worked fantastic! I'm not too fond of your repost. It seems you cloned instead of removed saturation from the greens, which introduced a lot of clutter in the BG. I imported your image in ACR, in which you have the option to reduce saturation in each color separately by simply moving a slider. Just reducing saturation with the green slider worked well. See post above. This was at setting -32. My guess would be that Paintshop would have a similar option somewhere.

John Robinson
04-13-2014, 05:48 PM
Hi jerry
This was my earlier adjusted post concerning the greens. I reduced the lightness and the saturation in the green channel but didn't like it so tried cloning. Didn,t like that either. To be honest the OP is the nearest to the day as I remember it. I think yours is pretty near to this one. I could have dropped the green sat abit but can't remember my amounts. As i say I have a problem with greens and reds anyway. Cheers Thanks for your help
John

Jerry van Dijk
04-14-2014, 12:58 AM
Rather similar indeed. I must say that I find the flower so special that it attracts the attention anyway.