PDA

View Full Version : Shoebill in BW (C)

Andreas Liedmann
04-07-2014, 01:09 PM
Hi folks i rarely post over here in Avian.
I thought i throw in a B/W which is rarely posted here. At the moment a lot of B/W stuff is going in Wildlife .
So what are you thinking of this ?

Image taken in a local Zoo .
Canon EOS 1Dx
EF 500 IS L
Tripod

F 4 ; Iso 1600 ; 1/500 sec

Image processed in Photo Ninja and PS CC , B/W conversion with B/W Styler 1.05

Thanks for watching

Cheers Andreas

David Salem
04-07-2014, 04:44 PM
I think the B&W works well here and especially with the black BG. The exposure looks great and I like the detail and texture in the bill. To my eye, the eye looks a bit soft as it looks like critical focus is on the shoulder. A bit of selective sharpening should take care of that. Nice work. Now that I look at it again, maybe its the texture of the eyeball that makes it look like that, as the flesh around the eye looks sharp? See what others think.

Iain Barker
04-07-2014, 06:15 PM
I think this works really well in B&W it really show off the detail in the feathers especially on the head. I see what David means about the eye and wonder if it is just the transition between the iris and pupil making it look soft?

gail bisson
04-07-2014, 06:57 PM
I like it!
great subject, perfect HA and the IQ is excellent.
Gail

Robert Kimbrell
04-07-2014, 09:15 PM
The shot works for me, I like the B/W. What an amazing bird, I saw one years ago at the Singapore zoo. Nice job with this.

Juan Carlos Vindas
04-07-2014, 10:22 PM
Very strong image! love B&W and this bird has such posture and that beak! well that is so much impressive! Thanks for sharing.

ramesh anantharaman
04-08-2014, 02:01 AM
I have always been a fan of B&Ws and you have really done well here to preserve the details and the contrasts.

Andreas Liedmann
04-08-2014, 10:38 AM
Thanks a bunch folks for your kind words and comments really appreciate them all.
I listened to your suggestions about the eye , i did a RP with slightly lightening the eye and sharpened it a fraction with High Pass filter , hope it does work better for you.For me it does , thanks for pointing this out.

Cheers Andreas

Marina Scarr
04-09-2014, 07:43 AM
We love seeing new perspectives over here in Avian, so thanks for posting. Good suggestion about the eye and your RP does make a difference. Love seeing what you have done with B&W and a black BG. Your bird really stands out as does all of the little feather details.

David Salem
04-09-2014, 07:46 AM
Much better. Good job on the re-post.

Arthur Morris
04-09-2014, 03:46 PM
B&W is perfect for this lovely image. And the repost strengthens it quite a bit. Stop by more often. :)

Andreas Liedmann
04-10-2014, 02:51 PM
Thanks Marina , David and Artie.
Will try to be more active over here , but time is limited , so have to make decisions ……...

Cheers Andreas

Andre Pretorius
04-15-2014, 02:24 PM
Yo Andreas- love the eye!:bg3: