PDA

View Full Version : Theme Yep, another lion

Neil Burton
04-07-2014, 03:26 AM
Well since we all seem to be posting lions... taken in Kruger 2009. We had arrived down the S100 and spotted two males walking away from one another. Once had a huge bite mark on his snout, so we had missed the battle by seconds... ****! This fellow strutted his stuff for a while and wandered into the bush.

5D, 300 2.8 IS, ISO400.

Tobie Schalkwyk
04-07-2014, 05:11 AM
I love these amazing cats, Neil - we can have a whole forum just for lions and I'll be happy...! :w3

Nice pic - it reflects a life full of challenges and the guts to face them! Sharp, nice crop!

Neil Burton
04-07-2014, 06:16 AM
Thanks, would love to go back and get some more :(

Crop is quite slight but the old 12MP 5D is still on of my favourite cameras.

Rachel Hollander
04-07-2014, 06:19 AM
Hi Neil - Nice looking male with good eye contact. I like the comp too. Vertical was a good choice. You can post 900px high when posting vertical. This looks a little flat and like the midtones have been opened too much. Giving them more depth in either levels or curves just gives the image more pop and takes it up a notch.

TFS,
Rachel

Marc Mol
04-07-2014, 11:10 AM
Agree on boosting the midtones here Neil, and I do like the wind blown mane.

Gabriela Plesea
04-07-2014, 12:05 PM
What a beautiful lion, Neil! Great sighting and I like the POV and eye contact, the crop is just right.

I am just wondering - what are those lighter and darker areas on the lion's belly, they are not too distracting but I cannot make out where they come from?

Thank you for this post Neil, always love to see a lion image, keep them coming!

Kind regards,

Andre Pretorius
04-07-2014, 12:40 PM
Hi Neil

What was your f-stop for this image- 2,8?

Well exposed with no blown lights and detail in blacks.

Crisp, like the POV.

The crop shows the wind direction, I like that.

The mid tones, mid tones- my quest...

He looks like a champion without any battle scars on the nose- administering the punishment without receiving much..

Andre

Morkel Erasmus
04-07-2014, 01:42 PM
Can't add much to what's been said already, Neil.
I like the mane too - I would crop&rotate so that the eyes are on the same level...

Neil Burton
04-07-2014, 03:14 PM
What a beautiful lion, Neil! Great sighting and I like the POV and eye contact, the crop is just right.

I am just wondering - what are those lighter and darker areas on the lion's belly, they are not too distracting but I cannot make out where they come from?

Thank you for this post Neil, always love to see a lion image, keep them coming!

Kind regards,

In Kruger the white bits are usually grass and bush ;)

Not sure what f-stop as the image has no exif but I remember my 5d and 300 fondly :)

Thanks all. Would love to go back, grass or none.

Gabriela Plesea
04-07-2014, 03:35 PM
Thank you Neil, and I agree...it's time you came back and captured more lions:cheers: