PDA

View Full Version : Predaceous Diving Beetle

Steve Maxson
04-05-2014, 12:04 PM
This is one of the smaller Predaceous Diving Beetles (Family Dytiscidae - posibly Graphoderus fascicollis). The circle of white dots on its thorax is actually a colony of protozoans attached to its exoskeleton. 2.5 gallon aquarium setup, 1D IV, 100 mm macro, 1/125, f/14, ISO 160, 2 remotely fired 430EX flashes (manual mode, diffused), tripod, live view manual focus, mirror lock, cable release. I removed some of the floating bits of debris in the water and ran nr on the background. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Norm Dulak
04-05-2014, 03:01 PM
Hi Steve.

You have a most interesting subject here. You have exposed it well and presented it against a very good background. It is sharp everywhere that it needs to be. And I am fascinated by your explanation of the circle of white dots. The only way I think this might be improved would be to provide a more lateral view, that would essentially retain what you have shown here, but also show more of this beetle. But this is an excellent image as is. I continue to be awed by what you show from your aquarium! Very well done.

John Robinson
04-05-2014, 03:34 PM
Excellent Steve.
We have two large Dytiscids over here and the last one I did had the growths all over the thorax and most of the lower abdomen- ended up like a fungus.. Love the indentations on the elytra and just the right amount of weed.
Is it one of the bladderworts ?
Any way a fine pic.
JohnR

Nancy Bell
04-05-2014, 03:36 PM
I really like how the bright feathery vegetation surrounds and highlights the solid oval shape of the diving beetle. The lighting adds a lovely rich glow & brings out the colors and details on the beetle that are probably hard to see without this kind of set-up. The explanation of the white dots is so interesting. A tiny world within a small world.

Mitch Haimov
04-05-2014, 08:33 PM
Another quality image from your aquarium, Steve. Textures, details, colors all excellent and the image is very clean overall. The protozoan natural history is a nice plus. I would wish for a bit more room at the bottom so it doesn't feel so tight against the greenery. I generally prefer more eye-level POVs (from front, side, or in between), but this works quite well as presented.

Gabriela Plesea
04-06-2014, 03:03 PM
Stunning image Stephen, this certainly works for me, no lateral view could be this exciting and I would not want to miss seeing those golden dots on the back of the beetle. I love the detail and the colours are just superb, so well presented, sharp where it counts-I am truly envious of your macro images!

Warmest regards,

Steve Maxson
04-07-2014, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the comments folks!

John: Yes, the plant is a bladderwort. Also, I have shots of a large Dytiscid beetle that has "things" attached/growing in various places on its exoskeleton - resembling a fungus. I'll post it. It seems that most aquatic macro-invertebrates that I photograph have other organisms attached to their bodies. Dragonfly nymphs, in particular, can become festooned with protozoan colonies. These do not appear to hinder the nymph in any way.