PDA

View Full Version : Green Barbet - southern most race only found in Ongoye Forest

Richard Flack
04-05-2014, 05:20 AM

Sometimes it is the story behind the photograph that makes it so memorable. Although this photograph lost some IQ due to quite a big crop, I thought I would show it anyway. It was definitely the top highlight of a recent trip up the north coast of KwaZulu Natal. (And a bird that has probably not featured on this forum?)

This chunky, olive green barbet is found in the montane forests of East Africa. Fortunately for us, it also occurs in southern Africa, where it is confined to a single forest; Ongoye Forest, in the north of KwaZulu Natal. This is the southern most race of this species and is also known as the “Woodward’s Barbet”, after its discoverer.

Date taken: 22 March 2014
Photo details:
Canon EOS 7D
400mm f2.8
ISO 400
Shutter speed 1/6400
F stop 4
Exposure bias 0
Sharpened, lightened and improved vibrancy, lens blur on the background

Colin Driscoll
04-05-2014, 06:18 AM
Good one Richard, strong light helped retain good detail even for a large crop. I saw a couple of different Barbet in India recently. Unusual looking birds and they do go on a bit with their calls.

Joseph Przybyla
04-05-2014, 06:30 AM
Beautiful bird, nicely shown. Thank you for sharing.

Daniel Cadieux
04-05-2014, 03:27 PM
Must have been a thrilling sighting. A new one for me too, so thanks for sharing. Yes to your self-critique about IQ due to crop. You could add back some at top and right to help with that...and it would also help put the subject out of centre of the frame.

Karl Egressy
04-05-2014, 04:35 PM
Cool looking bird nicely captured.