PDA

View Full Version : Theme Elephant Seal close up

Andreas Liedmann
04-04-2014, 02:08 PM
Hi folks i am really impressed about the variety of B/W conversions so far , different tones /colorations , subjects etc, i like it.
I throw another one in, image taken on South Georgia Island in St. Andrews Bay.

Canon EOS 1D MK III
EF 500 IS L
Tripod

F 8 ; Iso 400 ; 1/ 640 sec

Cropped for comp ; FF in height

Processed in Photo Ninja and PS CC ; TriTone conversion with cooler/silver look , i thought this fit well to the cold area where the image was taken.

Share your thoughts with me and others

Cheers Andreas

Rachel Hollander
04-05-2014, 08:23 AM
Hi Andreas - good pose with the open mouth adding a lot. Your comp works well. This is a bit more gritty than your other conversions. The choice of toning does give a cooler feel. The nose seems sharper than the eye area so maybe a little more selective sharpening for the eye.

TFS,
Rachel

Andre Pretorius
04-05-2014, 09:28 AM
Hi Andreas

Amazing detail, like comp.

Has a Velvia feeling to it:w3.

I would just open up the eye a bit.

Nice one!

Andre

Anette Mossbacher
04-06-2014, 09:53 AM
Hi Andreas,

very nice done. Agree with Andre, you can open up the yes a bit more, I know you know the trick :w3
Nice crop.

Have a great Sunday

Ciao
Anette

Andreas Liedmann
04-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Thanks Rachel ; Andre and Anette for stopping by and leaving your thoughts and suggestions , much appreciated.

Rachel you are right with the "gritty" look but that is my "style" for this image , rough conditions so "rough" output, i like it as is.
The same for the eye what Andre and Anette suggested , i leave it as is , for me there is enough life in that eye , even if i know the "trick " , Anette.

Cheers Andreas

Gabriela Plesea
04-06-2014, 01:57 PM
I wish I had your processing skills and knowledge, Andreas! Great detail and I kind of like this crunchy feel here, not just because I am a great fan of yours, but because it makes your subject stand out tremendously. My thoughts on the eye: I am pretty sure you did try to open up more and the eye must have looked odd against the rest of the body. The eye has this glassy feel to it and it is very natural, I like it as is. Different colours come to mind when I look at this image, some toning perhaps, but I am not experienced enough to suggest a colour in particular. If this were mine I would experience with various colours including sepia, just to see what effect I could achieve. Great work Andreas, perhaps one day you can teach me some of your tricks, for now I am just happy to enjoy your images and learn a bit here and there:w3

Wishing you a great week ahead,

Andreas Liedmann
04-06-2014, 02:34 PM
Thanks Gabriela it is nice that you like it as is.
I also like the eye as is , just as you said opening it up it does look unnatural , it is already opened up ………… for that glossy look .The day was overcast and very dull ,in real life the eye did not look that light.
Tried various colors but ended with this cooler look. But there are colors it is a tritone , just cooler colors.
No tricks used , just basic PP work in PS , no plugs…………. will show you some of my "tricks" not all though , i want to avoid that you become as good as me ……………… LOL. Will keep some secrets under the hood, for the one step ahead.:t3:bg3::c3:.

Thank you my fan, cheers Andreas . Wish you a good start into the new week.

Steve Kaluski
04-07-2014, 05:58 AM
The subject lends itself nicely to the treatment, the textures of skin, dirt, folds etc just gives the image character. Good detail however I just wonder if going to a warmer tone may work, or looking at split toning?

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
04-07-2014, 08:29 AM
Thanks Steve , tried a warmer tone and i felt i did not like it. But please feel free and post an example would like to see your view.

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
04-07-2014, 09:24 AM
Andreas, am away so using the laptop so I have no idea on the 'exact' colour, I think the colour could be pegged back, so it's not so strong, but also wanted to emphasis more of the texture in the nose???

Andreas Liedmann
04-07-2014, 09:35 AM
Thank you Steve looks ok too , but too strong overall and specially in the lights. What did you do ?
Can you post a split toning ? Just for your good old german boy.:c3:.
Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
04-07-2014, 10:12 AM
Can you post a split toning ? Just for your good old german boy.

OK, but we are going a little Off Topic perhaps, but...

Andreas Liedmann
04-07-2014, 10:38 AM
Ok this is not working for me , at least not with this color combination . Why are we going Off Topic ?

Anyhow thanks for taking your time. appreciate that.

Cheers Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
04-07-2014, 03:46 PM
Cool character here Andreas! I prefer your OP, good tonal range and texture for my tastes. Eye glint also good!
:5