PDA

View Full Version : Some food for thought

Grady Weed
04-04-2014, 11:39 AM
http://www.naturephotographers.net/camerahunter/bs0803-1.html

This is a link to an article by Bill Silliker Jr. an author who has passed on in October 2013. Bill was a genuinely interested nature, wildlife and scenic photographer of Maine's beautiful landscapes and it's wildlife. He was very passionate about the Common Loon, my personal favorite water bird. The article addresses the age old question of "What will you do to get the image". I posted this link to further our never ending discussion on this subject. He raised some good questions and made some fine points about our personal responsibility in this regard. Here in Maine the Common Loon is facing tremendous challenges, fast disappearing habitat, lead poisoning, low birth rates for chicks, getting caught in fishing lines, fish decline, they eat fish, etc. With more of us getting out into the woods and taking interest in the animals that live in them, the stresses are becoming overwhelming in some cases for the loons and many other animals.

I'd like for you to read the article, then comment on it contents, how the viewpoint came across, perhaps leave your own personal thoughts. How do you think we can help others to be more considerate of each others views and make strides in being more civil when faced with opposite feelings over such sensitive issues? In any case it is a nice article I believe to share. Thank you for reading it and sharing your thoughts.

John Guastella
04-04-2014, 07:18 PM
With a topic like this - on this particular forum - you're opening up a can of worms Grady.

I found that out recently, to my dismay and surprise.

John