PDA

View Full Version : Barred Owlet or Koala Bear?

Marina Scarr
04-04-2014, 09:00 AM
This Barred Owlet was such a ham on day #2 of branching. As evidenced here, it actually lay down on its perch (the same one it stretched from in my last image) and reminded me of a resting koala. This was shot at a rather high angle from fairly close b/c I wanted to convey the owlet's pose as accurately as possible. I don't like the white to the left of the owl, but this was the best BG I could find.

Canon 1D4, Canon 500L
F4, 1/400sec, ISO 1250, manual mode
Fill flash with BB @ -2-1/3
Feisol tripod, Jobu head & arm

C & C always welcomed and much appreciated.

Richard Flack
04-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Hi Marina, owl is awesome and well captured but IMO the big branch is a bit overwhelming. As you say the BG is not the best but shots into canopy are really tough in this regard. I love the look on the little guy's face. Thanks for sharing

Alan Murphy
04-04-2014, 10:25 AM
Cute. The look down helps with the steep angle.

Juan Carlos Vindas
04-04-2014, 12:22 PM
In fact it does not seem so steep for my eye! may be I am just too used to shoot birds in steep angles!
He could pass for a koala with no problem ha ha ha. I understand what you feel about the white on BG as tropical photography offers tons of that! well done despite the difficulty.

Sandy Witvoet
04-04-2014, 03:30 PM
I believe you have captured the very rare "Ko-Owlet"! :w3 Love the "fuzz" and "so cute" face! Also, does not look too steep for me either. You may want to think about a slight crop to the bottom, just below the fern, which may eliminate some of the heavy branch at the lower right side. A truly "AWWW" image!

Karl Egressy
04-04-2014, 04:43 PM
Nice little one well framed, Marina.

Joseph Przybyla
04-04-2014, 04:51 PM
Beautiful owlet, nature is filled with wonders.

Ian Wilson
04-04-2014, 05:24 PM
Hi Marina,
I am enjoying your picture despite the difficult background lighting. Not sure about the koala likeness - I would like to see some ears!
Cheers, Ian

John Robinson
04-05-2014, 07:42 AM
Cute one Marina.
Now that its mentioned the white splodge on the left is a bit eye catching. Easily toned down perhaps ?
Still a fine shot.
JohnR

Robert Kimbrell
04-05-2014, 04:27 PM
Marina, I am enjoying the Owl images, The look down does seem to help with the steep shot. His eyes are so dark, glad you were able to capture catch lights in them.