PDA

View Full Version : Blowing Rocks Blend

andresleon
04-03-2014, 09:19 PM
Hi everyone. Been missing for some time but have tried to make comments every once in a while :w3

This image was taken at Blowing Rocks Preserve in Jupiter, Florida. It's a blend of two different images using Photoshop. I'm trying to use layers and masks to increase the overall dynamic range of an image to make more natural looking HDRs. I'd like your opinion and feedback on this attempt.

Canon 1D-X with a 16-35mm lens at 29mm
ISO 100

Light Exposure:
5.5 sec exposure at f/14

Dark Exposure:
5 sec exposure at f/20

EDIT: also used high-pass filter to sharpen a bit and Topaz Denoise 5 to remove noise a little. Not sure if I like Topaz over Niks Defin 2. What do you all think?

David Stephens
04-03-2014, 11:04 PM
I love the sky here and the look of fog in the rocky area. I like the balance of the composition. I'm not a big fan of long-exposure water shots, but I really like the way the water worked out in this one.

I don't really have any suggestions. Sorry.

Don Railton
04-03-2014, 11:29 PM
Hi Andres

I like your sky colours, your composition (using the gap in the rock as a lead), and the overall feel of the image. I'm a bit neutral about the fog, mainly because I don't see it anywhere else and would prefer a little more water amongst the rock to 'explain' the presence of the fog (which has a blueish cast)... that's all nit picky stuff I know but... My main suggestion for you is that the colour gradient on the water from foreground to horizon is getting darker closer to the horizon and I feel that is the most 'unnatural' part in your blend IMHO.

regards

DON

Morkel Erasmus
04-04-2014, 04:55 AM
Lovely mood here Andres. I agree with Don above, the first thing that struck me is that the midground seems unbalanced in terms of overall exposure.
Easy to fix, I would say, and that would take the image up a notch for me.
Really strong flowing composition IMHO...
:5

andresleon
04-04-2014, 09:17 AM
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I see what you mean regarding the midground darkness, but wasn't sure how to brighten it in a soft and smooth manner without affecting the sky colors. I'll continue playing with this one and see if I can come up with a solution. Thanks again!

Andrew McLachlan
04-05-2014, 08:49 AM
This a great composition Andres. I love the flow of water and colors in the sky. Good suggestions already given to make it shine. For such scenes I will use my 3-stop reverse grad filter...works beautifully. Very nice work!

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk