PDA

View Full Version : Theme Need for Speed

Andreas Liedmann
04-03-2014, 01:38 PM
Hi folks , another old one taken in Yellowstone some years ago.
Light was very low at the end of the day , plus clouds were moving in the sky.Long lens ,good old MK II , what to do ……….. panning image was the answer.
There was this Bison herd moving right past me, i just wanted to have a isolated subject , not easy in a herd on the run.

EOS 1D MK II
EF 500 IS L
Beanbag

F5,6 / Iso 100 / 1/15 sec

Crop to pano for comp , in width basically FF, just sliver from RHS cut off.

Processed in Photo Ninja and PS CC , this time used a Quadtone for conversion .

C&C as always very much welcome, cheers Andreas

Andreas Liedmann
04-03-2014, 02:53 PM
Oh sorry , i forgot to add the prefix……………
Mods please ………… repair my fault

Thanks Andreas

Rachel Hollander
04-03-2014, 03:10 PM
Andreas - I fixed it for you. Will comment when on better monitor tonight.

Rachel

Nancy Bell
04-03-2014, 05:39 PM
Andreas, love the motion in this! Very interesting that radial effect on the back. I wonder what caused that? You captured a great mix of moving blurred parts with some less blurred parts, such as that one more solid hind leg and the bright horn in the darkness of the head, plus the highlight in the eye. I'm not sure about that one brownish area in front of the nose and near the right edge. It seems to be the only thing that particular color and for me just a bit of a distraction since I believe it is only meant to be part of the blurred bkgd.

Rachel Hollander
04-03-2014, 05:55 PM
Hi Andreas - I like the conversion and toning just not sold on the pan. Personally I want the head a little sharper though I know these can be very difficult to achieve. I agree with Nancy about the radial effect and wonder if it was the movement of the camera that caused it? If it were mine I would tone down the brighter white areas in front of the head and behind the right rear leg.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
04-04-2014, 05:50 AM
Nice moment here Andreas. I'm with Rachel - I don't mind it ALL being blurry but the moment something is quite sharp I feel it needs to be the head and eyes (personal opinion/preference perhaps). Presume this is the best from your panning sequence??

Andreas Liedmann
04-04-2014, 09:23 AM
Thanks folks for your thoughts and comments.
I agree the head should be sharper , at least the eye. But with that SS and the Bison head moving up and down , not staying straight like other animals when they run, not possible to achieve. With hindsight i should have chosen a faster SS , at least 50/60 sec.But cannot change it afterwards :bg3:.
Yes Morkel this is the best out of 6 images i have taken , sadly.
the radial blur comes from the movement of the fur , so no radial filter or radial lens panning , as far as i remember .
Anyhow i like it , even if not perfect in terms of the panning , but as Rachel said difficult to get it right and i had not that many options .

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
04-04-2014, 11:16 AM
Hi Andreas, sorry this doesn't work for me, but I do like the colours. :S3:

I find it confusing with the panning blur and then in the body, a radial blur, which if not applied in PP I have not seen in a panning shot before? Quite often you see the head or parts of the head sharp, but the rest has that nice flowing motion.

TFS
Steve

Marc Mol
04-04-2014, 12:14 PM
Steve has just beat me to this, not my fav of yours Andreas, sorry buddy.
The blur combined with the B&W and close crop just doesn't suit here for me.

Andreas Liedmann
04-04-2014, 12:29 PM
Hi Marc and Steve no problem if this is not fitting your needs , LOL.
At least the colors are looking good to Steve………… oh :bg3:.

Regarding the radial blur you have not seen in a panned image here is the original raw , just added an Auto levels adjustment layer , Steve.

Cheers Andreas

Don Railton
04-05-2014, 06:14 AM
Hi Andreas
The radial blur I find interesting...the engineer in me is telling me that the lighter body parts (legs & head) are moving in an arc about where I imagine the bisons approximate centre of gravity is..it's sort of what's expected. It's exactly what would happen if the Bison was floating in water and kicking its legs hard..

Don

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gabriela Plesea
04-05-2014, 11:58 AM
Dear Andreas,

Sorry to comment so late, I will be totally honest with you in saying I did not pass a critique here because I was not sure how to reply. The radial effect bothered me the most, although the image itself resembles a sketch and I liked the idea. The subject is too close to the viewer and in this instance it needs to be sharper, if you know what I mean. Had you captured this at some distance, you would have had a nice landscape and that flowing motion Steve is talking about. Andre is nodding here next to me:S3:...We still need "boy" in October, let us let us discuss this image when we meet?:bg3:

Still one of your greatest fans:tinysmile_shy_t:,

Andreas Liedmann
04-06-2014, 12:22 PM
Thanks Don and Gabriela for your thoughts and suggestions.
Gabriela i think as far as i know, if i want to have a flowing BG i need more distance to the BG and the subject closer to the cam ? Or i should have panned the cam faster , but then i would have lost the Bison :eek3:.
I agree the should be sharper , but with my SS not possible as i stated above.
Will not carry any images down to Africa …………. but we can discuss a lot of fresh stuff i feel.

Gabriela we are now two ……………. the greatest fans of mine ……….. you ………. and ………. me. There is nobody else.
Thanks for that.
Cheers Andreas