PDA

View Full Version : Night Stalker

Mark Fuge
04-01-2014, 09:42 PM
This image was taken of an alligator, about noon in Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park, about 3 miles north of our home. While we have visited the manatee exhibit there before, yesterday was our first visit to see the rest of the site. Besides the popular manatees, they are also a wildlife rehab center and have a zoo like setting, for animals that have been injured in some way and are unable to remain in the wild, which were brought there to live out the rest of their lives. We were amazed by the variety of animals on displayed and will visit there more often in the future.

For any of you visiting the Nature Coast, or living nearhere, it is a good spot to stop and see. Right now is breeding season, so the males were all decked out in their finery and some were building nests. In some cases, some care has to be taken in taking photos, as some of the birds have lost one of their wings and other injuries are visible, that may not be what you want to have in your final image. However, there are enough subjects in reasonable condition to justify a venture over there and it is definitely a day you will enjoy.

In working the image, I decided to take it into the night. I also found that the Topaz Simplify Wood Carving seemed to fit this image. Unlike some other images, I kept it simple this time. Processing was done in Lightroom, Photoshop and Topaz; Topaz Lens Effects andSimplify/Sketch/Wood Carving.

Kerry Perkins
04-01-2014, 11:39 PM
I wouldn't want that bad boy lurking around me, day or night! Interesting treatment and it does fit this subject nicely. I might be tempted to tone down the plant and reflections just above the lurker, as I think they are distracting from your subject.

Mark Fuge
04-02-2014, 08:08 AM
Thanks for viewing and comments Kerry. Appreciate it.

I had thought about the branches over the gator, but then thought about the stalker effect ... does he want to be seen, or does he want to blend in? I therefore let it go. But, I understand and did wonder about that. Just ended up coming from a different direction, hiding in the bush! :tinysmile_shy_t:

Paul Lagasi
04-03-2014, 02:46 AM
Its different, its a Fuge', I might have reduced the number of white dots...Thanks for sharing.

Nancy Bell
04-03-2014, 03:44 PM
The wood carving filter works very well for this creation. As a "stalker" image, I would consider adding more of the overhanging vegetation. As is, it feels a bit center-weighted with the alligator and heavy vegetation all in the middle. Adding a bit more vegetation in front of the gator and along the top, (like there is behind and at the top edge), would provide balance and more stalking cover. Always enjoy seeing the interesting frames to your images. As usual, this one works very well.