View Full Version : Water Rail

William Dickson
04-01-2014, 03:45 PM
Canon 7D
Canon F/2.8 300mm with 1x4 TCiii
f/5
1/250
ISO 2500

This bird is very elusive in my part of Scotland, so I was more than happy when it appeared. The last time I saw it, it was being violently attacked http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/118421-Moorhen-attacking-a-Water-Rail

I was in a hide at the time using a beanbag. The lighting conditions were terrible, wet and misty, or dreich as they say here. As you can see my ISO was high, and I couldnt get a faster shutter speed. I was just glad to capture him after what happened the last time I saw him. :bg3:

I am hoping my 5D when it arrives, will be better in those conditions :S3:

William Dickson
04-01-2014, 03:51 PM
Cropped version

Thanks for looking and any advice greatly appreciated

John Robinson
04-01-2014, 07:42 PM
Hi William
You did well here ! I done these a few times and they can be so and so's !! Shame about the line going through the bird from the right.. have you tried baiting ? Works a dream. You'll have every WR in the county aropund you.
Blow fly chrysalis the best.
Cheers
John

Satish Ranadive
04-02-2014, 01:22 AM
Excellent image in habitat. I like the both crops. Tight crop shows nice details. Beautiful colours and nice composition.

Regards,
Satish.

Marina Scarr
04-04-2014, 08:48 AM
I prefer a loser than a tighter crop and would probably do something like this. The bright twig bothers me in each frame and although I am not big on removing objects from my images, have taken the liberty of removing it and cleaning up the image just a little bit. Used the J and clone tools. I prefer loser b/c you see more of the environment.

William Dickson
04-04-2014, 09:59 AM
Thanks for that Marina its looking good :S3: