PDA

View Full Version : Giant Water Bug with eggs

Steve Maxson
04-01-2014, 10:17 AM
Giant Water Bugs (Family Belostomatidae) are aquatic predators that capture prey (most anything they are able to subdue) with their raptorial forelegs and then they inject the prey with digestive enzymes which liquify its insides so the GWB can suck out the juices. In the US, some species can be 65 mm long, but this is one of the smaller species (likely Belostoma sp.) and its body is 24 mm in length. In the smaller species of GWB, the female lays her eggs on the back of the male. The male then carries the eggs around with him until they hatch. 2.5 gallon aquarium setup, 1D IV, 100 mm macro, 1/125, f/16, ISO 160, 2 remotely fired 430EX flashes (manual mode, diffused), HH, AF. I removed some of the floating bits of debris in the water and ran nr on the background. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Nancy Bell
04-01-2014, 04:25 PM
I still remember the first time I held a Belostomatid in my hand. It was large and very impressive! Awesome image with the eggs on the back. Great diffuse lighting, details, pose, and perch. Since this is a tank set-up I would prefer that the bkgd vegetation was not there. For me the many green lines and bits of bright light distract from the power of the main subject and those rows of eggs on his back.

Randy Stout
04-01-2014, 04:28 PM
Steve:

The subtle lighting here is really superb. Soft, but rich colors, very interesting natural history, all good. I am certainly glad they don't get too much bigger.

The egg cases almost have a HDR effect, and I mean that in a good way.

Cheers

Randy

John Robinson
04-01-2014, 05:03 PM
Certainly an awesome looking beast ! We don,t get these( good job maybe !!) I think I agree about the back ground weed Steve. Exactly one of the reasons I went for picture printed ones.
I love the fringe on the equisetum the bug is on. Used to pull these apart when I was a kid !! They used them in the middle ages for pan scrubbing !
Great stuff!
JohnR

Mitch Haimov
04-01-2014, 08:26 PM
Fantastic work, Steve. Extremely interesting subject, compelling natural history, very cool perch, nicely angled comp, sweet light…this one's got it all going on!

Steve Maxson
04-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone! :S3: