PDA

View Full Version : American Coot

Cody Spencer
04-01-2014, 07:50 AM
http://codyspencerphotography.smugmug.com/NorthAmericanBirds-6/Rails-gallinules-coots/American-Coot/i-JRrs5f5/2/X2/IMG_6371%20copy-X2.jpgJust a few miles from the heart of Boston Ma, this little Coot and a Wood duck spent their winter in a little waterway.. Much to my surprise when I made it down to the waters edge, instead of the two fleeing my presence they began to swim closer. An awesome experience with some of natures most beautiful species.
Canon EOS 7D
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Lens (400mm)
ISO- 500
f/5.6
Exposure- 1/500

Randy Stout
04-01-2014, 08:13 AM
Cody:

A big welcome to BPN! Your coot shows his round form well, with good head turn, bill clear of body, drops on flank and the wet stripes on breast, all good.

I would consider cropping it to eliminate the object left lower corner, which would also have the effect of moving the coot off center a bit, with still room to look to the right side of the frame.

The eye/face could use a sliver more sharpening.

The size limits for images is 1200 x 900.

Look forward to more images. Please feel free to comment on other folks images, it is one of the best ways to train your eye to see critically, which will help your own photography as well.

Cheers

Randy

Satish Ranadive
04-02-2014, 02:05 AM
Welcome to BPN Cody,
Superb image to start. I like the details in blacks, very nicely exposed.
Rest is mentioned by Randy Sir.

Regards,
Satish.

Marina Scarr
04-04-2014, 08:50 AM
Welcome to BPN!!! You did well getting a nice exposure and good details on your coot. The body part of the other coot in the frame is detracting from what would otherwise be a pleasing image.