PDA

View Full Version : Newt larvae

John Robinson
03-31-2014, 09:11 PM
Great Crested newt larvae.
(Photographed under Licence)
These often over winter as larvae. Done in a complicated tank set up designed for freshwater stuff. They are the only newt larvae with spots - so quite easy to ID.
Great Crested larvae for some reason are quite hard to move around - unlike the other two species we have in the UK
Nikon D7100
Nikor macro 40mm.
Printed backdrop.
Artificial light from above./ fill flash
70% of full frame.
PP in PSP7/image guru.
Cheers
JohnR

Nancy Bell
04-01-2014, 04:17 PM
Fascinating. Wonderful pose with the fringed gills (?) so obvious. Good lighting with the eye bright and the newt looking golden. A bit tight on the left side behind the tip of the tail and maybe too much empty space on right. I imagine there are many obstacles to overcome when photographing through glass and into a tank of water.

John Robinson
04-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Thanks nancy Yes its a case of trying to get the head just left of centre so looking "out of the frame " It would hasve to be a canvas adding job !
Cheers
John

Mitch Haimov
04-01-2014, 08:20 PM
VWD, John. Nicely lit, interesting subject, sweet BG. I would like a little more negative space on the left and for your subject not to be vertically centered.

Steve Maxson
04-04-2014, 10:43 AM
Hi John. Another interesting subject, well exposed, and with very good head-to-tail sharpness! Here's another vote for adding a little canvas on the left to improve the comp. The backdrop again looks natural - but here comes the picky part. :S3: Just below the tail in the yellow there is a relatively distinct diagonal "something." This could easily be blended into the background. Just above and to the right of the head and also above the tail are some just-visible concentric lines - vaguely resembling fingerprints. I think these could easily be removed with a little low-opacity clone work or perhaps use of the patch tool. These are minor tweaks that would help put this fine image over the top!

John Robinson
04-04-2014, 12:26 PM
Hi Steve
Played around a bit. I remembered I spent hours on the original trying to remove that scurge of aqatic tank photography- biti in the water and on the glass.!!!
So I,ve worked this on the one I posted. Added canvas but then had to reduce it to 1200 pix.
See what you think.
John

Steve Maxson
04-04-2014, 12:41 PM
The repost is much better! :S3:

Mitch Haimov
04-04-2014, 07:54 PM
Another vote for the repost.