PDA

View Full Version : Purple Gallinule in it's environment...

Joseph Przybyla
03-31-2014, 03:53 PM
Finally the clouds and rain are gone so Dottie and I got out to Circle B Bar Reserve this morning. I captured this look back of the gallinule as it was moving away from me.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF shot at 300mm (450mm FFE)
1/1000 F/8 ISO 1000

arash_hazeghi
04-01-2014, 01:26 AM
you got a nice head turn and sweet iridescent plumage. I like the view of the feet. The tip of the beak is a bit hot and the BG is too distracting here. I would try to tone down the highlights in the BG to reduce its impact a bit

gail bisson
04-01-2014, 01:48 PM
Hi Joe,
I am not loving this one. The light is quite harsh but shows the iridescence in the wing feathers nicely.
The BG is just too busy and takes away from the gallinule.
I do like the visible feet and the way they are grasping on to the grasses.
These are incredibly difficult birds to get a clear image of, so I do understand why you like it and posted it,
Gail

Stu Bowie
04-01-2014, 02:21 PM
Hi Joseph, we now call these guys ' purple swamphens' and yes, lovely iridescence from the wings. Comp works well, and I feel there's not much you could have done about the BG, as these guys are always in deep foliage.

Joseph Przybyla
04-01-2014, 07:00 PM
Thank you all for viewing, commenting and offering suggestions to improve the image. The background is busy and distracting, there was no way to isolate the bird or get separation. I have used Arash's suggestions and can see an improvement which highlights the bird more and downplays the background. Thank you all again I appreciate your feedback and thoughts.