PDA

View Full Version : Theme Bloody Valentine ?!

Andreas Liedmann
03-31-2014, 02:52 PM
Just hurried up to place one last frame for the March Theme, hope i am not too late, still March here…………….

Image of this "small " male taken in Etosha close to Namoutoni.Two brothers killed a wildebeest in the open triangle area close to Chudop, they took it down right in the middle of that open space, b-u-l-l-s-h-i-t-t i thought.
I forgot how many cars were lined up around the triangle to get them leaving the area , i got lucky ……….

Lens combo not ideal , was too busy and forgot to change, so techs are a bit akward.

Canon EOS 1D MK IV
EF 500 IS L + 2x TC
Beanbag on Car window

F10 / ISO 3200 / 1/1600 sec

Image processed in Photo Ninja and PS CC , cropped slightly for composition, i have the mane fully in the frame………. so if this is too tight or not tight enough, share your thoughts.

Thanks for watching and leaving a comment

Cheers Andreas

Mike Poole
03-31-2014, 03:17 PM
Composition wise it's just right for me. There is enough mane showing, and the power of the shot relies on the tight crop, going looser may well be counter-productive.

It's a real shame that the light was not really working for you - if I'm going to get critical then the shadows and contrast take away from the scene, maybe one of the PP whizz kids on here could help smooth things out a bit. Obviously you could have got away with a lower ISO, but I'm confident in saying we've all done similar things in the past - I have more than once!

Overall I really like the shot, the blood helps with the story, and the detail captured is very good

Rachel Hollander
03-31-2014, 07:22 PM
Hi Andreas - the comp works really well with great detail. The blood does tell a story. The light wasn't on your side but you made the most of it and I really like the way it is hitting the eye. There's a little bit of cyan and green coming through behind and above the ear as well as in the bg. An easy fix for you.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
04-01-2014, 03:32 PM
Andreas, good clarity and detail for a 500+2x! :Whoa!:
I agree with Rachel on the slight cast. I know the triangle you speak of, can imagine cars lining up all around it...
Suppose you came too late for the actual kill?

Andreas Liedmann
04-02-2014, 12:49 AM
Thanks Mike ,Rachel and Morkel for your comments.
I recognized the color issue you saw before i posted the image, but thought i leave it in. But i reworked with your suggestions.

Morkel the kill happened roughly half an hour before gate opened , we could hear the sounds of the lions doing their work , so nobody could have seen the actual kill , only the result .

Cheers Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
04-02-2014, 01:24 AM
thanks Andreas - yes and if Etosha ran their gate times properly like Kgalagadi they would be open 30min before sunrise :bugeyed:

Andreas Liedmann
04-02-2014, 02:07 AM
Here is RP with the treatments
Andreas

Steve Kaluski
04-03-2014, 03:59 AM
Prefer the colours in the OP.

Andreas Liedmann
04-03-2014, 09:22 AM
Thanks Steve, agree with you about the colors, i also prefer the OP actually .
What about the rest, it is not just colors…………..:bg3:.

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
04-03-2014, 01:17 PM
Hi Andreas, just rather hammered at present.

The only thing I might do is blend the BKG blue with the brown so what 'appears' to be a small arc blends in more, otherwise looks good.

Andreas Liedmann
04-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Thanks Steve , sorry to hear you are hammered at the moment, so i stay quite ……… PSSSST.

Steve Kaluski
04-03-2014, 01:32 PM
Ah, it has the same translation, no I meant hammered up, busy. :S3:

Andreas Liedmann
04-03-2014, 02:16 PM
english …………. will never understand everything in the first place :eek3:

Andre Pretorius
04-05-2014, 07:14 AM
Love the image AND the comments!:bg3:

Giovanni Frescura
04-06-2014, 02:37 PM
Hi