PDA

View Full Version : Alien Planet

Dvir Barkay
03-31-2014, 02:10 PM

A large storm passes over the white rocks of White Pocket. The texture of the rocks and the clouds really drew me to the scene. I had to leave soon after as you cannot get out if the sandy roads are wet.

(the vignette might be a bit strong so tell me if its a bit overdone)

Sony A100, Sony 16-50/2.8, F/8, ISO 100, Jpeg, Nik B&W, 2012, its a jpeg so there might be slight posterization

Don Railton
03-31-2014, 07:15 PM
Hi Dvir,

The weird thing about this image is if find it difficult to assess if the 'hill' is 20 miles long or 20 yards... it is alien to me...! very nice clouds, lots of mood, good tones, sharp, confusing...

well done

DON

Dvir Barkay
04-01-2014, 08:24 AM
Thanks Don, that is how I felt about the scene as well, very alien.

Diane Miller
04-01-2014, 11:02 PM
Way cool! I'd do more vignette on the top, bottom and left!

David Stephens
04-02-2014, 03:39 PM
I think that you captured the textures, light and sky that attracted you to this scene. (The hill looks small to me). I can take or leave the vignetting, so I'd suggest that you go with Diane's advice, if you're concerned about them.

Looks like a wall hanger to me.

Andrew McLachlan
04-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Hi Dvir, this is such a cool landscape. Love the upper rock details...so much so that I think I am favoring a crop from the bottom as an alternate version to this already cool scene. Would love to see some alternate versions you may have created here when you have time. I am interested in seeing what this landscape looks like in color too. Very nice work!!!

andresleon
04-03-2014, 09:34 PM
Well? which is it? 20 yards or 20 miles? I'm actually curious! :)

Really terrific detail on the rock, but maybe could have been less around the clouds. Though it does give it a very apocalyptic feeling.

arash_hazeghi
04-04-2014, 01:02 AM
very nice Dvir. I like the B&W conversions and the textures. well done

Morkel Erasmus
04-04-2014, 05:01 AM
Dvir, your best post here by a mile. I love this, lovely textures and tones and great brooding mood.
Might suggest dodging midtones and highlights slightly on the rock textures for more "oomph"?
:5 :cheers:

Dvir Barkay
04-07-2014, 11:54 PM
Thanks all, size wise I would say its about 20ish meters like you guys say, and about 3-4 high, but its been a while since I was there so I don't really really remember. Which reminds me, that I will be back there "hopefully" next year :). And thanks Morkel, for the compliments, I already did quite a bit, but I can definitely see adding some more. The problem with these jepgs is they tend to not hold up as well so we will see.