PDA

View Full Version : Preflight Briefing

Robert Kimbrell
03-29-2014, 04:31 PM
Image 2 of 3 that I blackened the background. This was taken last May. The background was dense Mangroves, that I feel ruined the image. Two of the primaries on the adults right wing were clipped and repaired in p/s.
D 700 500f4
F-10 1/2500 Iso 640

Marina Scarr
03-29-2014, 07:11 PM
You sure have done a lot of work on this image, and a good job too! I think it works. Love seeing the adult as the focal point with the outstretched wings. The young ones surrounding her really help to tell the story.

Ian Cassell
03-29-2014, 07:29 PM
I love this and your PP worked wonderfully. Those little spoonies make this magical.

Troy Lim
03-29-2014, 09:55 PM
I like the idea of focus on the bird. The black is too dark in my opinion. Perhaps try a lesser black? I may look more natural.

Arthur Morris
03-30-2014, 10:48 AM
Well done and a loverly grouping. Was this at DeSoto???

Did you mean the adult's right wing or its left wing???

Robert Kimbrell
03-30-2014, 01:33 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback and comments. Artie the image was taken in Fort Myers on an unnamed spoil Island in the Caloosahatchee River. Spoons are not very common at this location. Just the tips two featers were clipped, past the feather tear, on the adults Right wing (left side of the image.)

Arthur Morris
03-30-2014, 02:13 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback and comments. Artie the image was taken in Fort Myers on an unnamed spoil Island in the Caloosahatchee River. Spoons are not very common at this location. Just the tips two featers were clipped, past the feather tear, on the adults Right wing (left side of the image.)

Thanks Robert, but confused.... If it was the bird's right wingtip that was clipped, on our left, where did you get missing part of the perch???

Robert Kimbrell
03-30-2014, 02:27 PM
Artie, the clipping was from the top down. I probably should have mentioned canvas was added to top. Sorry for the confusion.

Arthur Morris
03-30-2014, 02:32 PM
Ah, that makes sense. But, if you clipped two primaries on the bird's right wing from the top then it seems that you would have clipped at least the very tip of the first primary on the left wing, unless the image as captured was not level....

Robert Kimbrell
03-30-2014, 02:58 PM
That very preceptive , Perhaps I did not shoot it level. or the right wing was stretched just a little higher or both. What do you think? What would you have done with this backdrop? Thanks.

Arthur Morris
03-30-2014, 04:02 PM
Thanks for posting the ORIG. It shows that I was wrong :). I am not sure that I would have thought to make the BKGR BLACK. And I do not think that I could have done it as well as you did. I'd try the Offset Slide in the Exposure Adjustment Layer. Folks can read about that here: http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2014/03/29/image-design-questions-new-photoshop-adjustment-layer/

How did you do it? Did it involve making a selection?

Lastly, the tip of the first primary on the bird's left wing looks as if it got sculpted a bit during the optimization. That's what drew my eye to the left wing in the first place.

Robert Kimbrell
03-30-2014, 07:17 PM
Artie, Thank you so much for taking the time to evaluate. my image. Your expertise as well as the others is greatly appreciated, Thanks for the link on the adjustment layer. I will practice with a few images. I am afraid I did it the hard way. You are right I made selections and painted out the background. Some of intricate areas were hand painted @ 400- 600% zoom .

Arthur Morris
03-31-2014, 04:15 PM
Artie, Thank you so much for taking the time to evaluate. my image. Your expertise as well as the others is greatly appreciated, Thanks for the link on the adjustment layer. I will practice with a few images. I am afraid I did it the hard way. You are right I made selections and painted out the background. Some of intricate areas were hand painted @ 400- 600% zoom .

You are most welcome Robert. That is what I call hard work, but very well done.