PDA

View Full Version : California Coastline

Paul Lagasi
03-29-2014, 02:55 PM
This started out as a fog image and then turned into a landscape image. I used Topaz detail, summer filters and then over-saturated the colors a bit overall. I lost the fog but gained this image. Taken in the early morning, near the northern border of California and Oregon.
Thanks for looking.

Diane Miller
03-29-2014, 07:22 PM
I don't think you lost the fog at all, but enhanced it! Very lovely! I would try to add canvas on the left and give the edges of those rocks a little space, though.

Paul Lagasi
03-29-2014, 08:46 PM
You asked, so here's the original, which I cropped to get image above.

Ian McHenry
03-29-2014, 10:38 PM
I have recently found it surprising that previously cropped images (presumably for impact) are improved by reverting back to the originals.
Like "Right first time"
Think this is a case in point, and seems to apply particularly to seascapes.
Just gets the balance back.

Diane Miller
03-29-2014, 11:19 PM
I think it's possible that your decision to crop may have been motivated by the impression that the left side of the image (the original, as shown in the RP) feels a little light compared to the mass of the right side. Have a look at pulling in a gradient from the left edge, to about the bird, and darkening it very subtly. Restores a little more balance.

And maybe also a bit of darkening from the bottom, to give it a bit more of a base. A wonderful image that deserves a second look to go from 90 to 110!

Anita Bower
03-30-2014, 06:13 AM
The blue colors are nice for a sea image. I prefer the uncropped version, but it does put the bird more in the center. The bird is the first thing I noticed when looking at this, then I looked at the bright area of rocks on the right--bird and light rocks compete for attention. Have you considered upping the contrast to make it less foggy, or, letting more fog show?

Kerry Perkins
03-30-2014, 01:49 PM
Hi Paul, I think the comp of the repost is better for the overall image. I would not lighten the left side as, to me, the lightness gives the impression that the fog is coming onshore and into the scene. I like the colors too.

Nancy Bell
03-30-2014, 04:48 PM
Paul, I agree that this image is still about fog. Would you like me to add "theme" to your title? I like the exaggeration of the pink, and it is played very well with the transition to the blue. I also like the 2nd post. Good suggestions above and a really nice image to tweak more.

Paul Lagasi
03-30-2014, 05:00 PM
Thank You, Nancy.....No, I'll submit another image for theme...but still have a bit of work to do on it.

Cheryl Slechta
03-31-2014, 10:52 AM
Paul, I think I like your original crop as well. Beautiful image.:S3:

Mitch Carucci
04-03-2014, 03:03 PM
Lovely effect. remnds me of the old technique of triple exposing an image with the three primary color filters.