PDA

View Full Version : Great Mormon Male

Randy Stout
03-29-2014, 07:06 AM
This fellow was captured yesterday at the Meijers Gardens butterfly event.

D4 Sigma 180 f/3.5 f/11 1/200s ISO 1250 Single SB-800 on wimberley macro arm from left (with Westcott Micro Apollo diffuser) SU800 controller

Hand held, kind of. No tripods/monopods are allowed, so I use a collapsed mini monopod as a brace from a cup at my belt to the camera. It never touches the ground.

Artificial fabric background, held by Roy van Loo

Post: Full frame. , selective sharpening, brought up the blues slightly

Advice and comments always appreciated

Cheers

Randy

Mitch Haimov
03-29-2014, 09:59 AM
VWD, Randy--nice detail in the blacks. I like the layers here--sharp, detailed subject, soft yet recognizable perch, softer and pleasing BG. Very considerate of this guy to hold his wings open in a flat plane for you… Angled comp works well, tho would be even stronger if you moved the camera up slightly so comp tighter at bottom and looser above IMHO. Effective--and non-obvous--use of flash.

John Robinson
03-30-2014, 03:30 PM
Grand shot Randy. Prefer this to your latest butterfly post above I think

I don't normally go for moveable back drops but it certainly worked on this one, ! Just that little bit of vegetation too is nice.
Well done
JohnR

Nancy Bell
03-30-2014, 06:08 PM
Good comments above. I would like to see this overall a bit brighter. I always wonder why tripods and monopods are not allowed?

Steve Maxson
04-03-2014, 10:13 AM
Hi Randy. A nice specimen giving you a great pose and you have very good overall sharpness on your subject. The diagonal comp is a plus and the artificial background worked well - though you might consider toning down some of the brighter areas. Given that you used flash, the overall image seems rather flat to me (I expect that the monochrome colors of the butterfly have something to do with that. :S3:). The greens in the perch look unsaturated and dull - maybe a saturation boost would give the image more snap. This is a strong image and well worth a few tweaks to make it even better!

Satish Ranadive
04-19-2014, 09:30 AM
Randy Sir,
Spectacular image of beautiful butterfly with nice colours and great fine details.

Regards,
Satish.