PDA

View Full Version : Bosque Sunrise

Rodney Flowers
03-28-2014, 09:11 PM
I took this landscape during sunrise at Bosque del Apache after the blastoff. I removed 4 birds that were cut off across the top to create a clean edge. Take a look and let me know what you think.
Canon EOS 7D, EF24-70mm F/2.8L at 24 mm
ISO 500, 1/30sec at f5.6

Dvir Barkay
03-28-2014, 11:03 PM
Nice shot, I like the blurry geese as it adds some much needed movement to the image. I might play around with cropping off a bit at the bottom, I know that it makes the image balanced, but it might help to give emphasis to the geese. Overall nice stuff.

Andrew McLachlan
03-30-2014, 06:43 PM
Hi Rodney, love the colors and the geese, but for me the top half of the scene is just a tad too dark, brightening that up just smidge would work well. Nicely seen and captured!

Don Railton
03-31-2014, 07:10 PM
Hi Rodney,

Beautiful sunrise, and the geese add heaps. To improve for me, I am thinking along the lines of Andrew... I too feel its a bit dark along the top. An alternative to the lightening IMO is to crop off some of the top to reduce the amount of dark area, which will make the image look lighter without making the darks lighter than you remember. just a thought..

DON

David Stephens
04-02-2014, 04:10 PM
I love the close geese and wouldn't crop any of those. I also like the distant geese and the reflection of all in the water along with the grasses that show. We get these blue/red/orange sunrises often just a little further North in Colorado, so I think that you nailed the colors and range of light that I often see. (Around Denver, they're called "Broncos Sunrises").

I've looked hard at it again and looked at the suggestions and I'd leave it as is, if it were mine. Print it... hang it!

Morkel Erasmus
04-07-2014, 10:57 AM
I love this. The blurry geese in the front really takes this up a notch. With so many images coming from Bosque, these are the ones that really stand out.
:5
:cheers:

Diane Miller
04-07-2014, 12:07 PM
Stunning image! The thing I'd work on is that the "horizon" (water surface) has a dogleg, sloping up in the left half of the image. It looks like it needs more than just a rotation, as the right half looks level. I'm surprised to see that with the 24-70. Even if it's somehow a natural feature of the terrain, I'll fix something if it looks off.

Rodney Flowers
04-09-2014, 08:16 AM
Thanks for all the comments, they are greatly appreciated. I believe I will look into lightening some of the sky. I leveled my camera before taking the picture, so I would guess it is the terrain that makes the right half look level and not the left. I have recently looked at the lens corrections in lightroom, so I will go back and see if that does anything.