PDA

View Full Version : Green Cattle Egret In Flight

Shawn Marques
05-15-2008, 04:51 PM
This is the greenest of four green tinted cattle egret at a nearby rookery, Ft Pierce, FL. It’s my best image of it to date- hope to get one of it facing my way before the end of nesting season. Thanks for looking!

Canon 40D, Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x
1/2000s @ f/8.0, ISO 800
Gitzo carbon fiber tripod, Wimberley head, Canon Speedlite (did not flash)

Taken near mid-morning

Gus Cobos
05-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Very nice capture Shawn,
I like the details on the wings placement in frame. Would be better if his head were turned more towards you. You have some shadow on the underwing. Fill flash would have helped...:D Good job, I like it...

Shawn Marques
05-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Very nice capture Shawn,
I like the details on the wings placement in frame. Would be better if his head were turned more towards you. You have some shadow on the underwing. Fill flash would have helped...:D Good job, I like it...

Thanks, Gus, for your suggestions. This is not a typical egret, so this image will have to do until I get a better one (if ever). Also, I forgot to mention that the my Speedlite failed me. :(

Daniel Cadieux
05-15-2008, 07:14 PM
I was going to say there is a green cast until I read your description!! I wish you had the exact same body position but with a better head turn but you know that already from your self critique ;-) Very cool BG!

Robert O'Toole
05-15-2008, 08:30 PM
This is an okay record shot, since I have never seen the Green version I would keep this one too. Otherwise I am sure Shawn knows about the problems.

These guys look so strange almost like the fell into a vat of food dye or something! Maybe Algae?

Shawn you said your speedlite didnt fire, huh? thats impossible thats never happened to me before !!!!! :) I think that is a normal for a speedlite sometimes, its a 50/50 chance with an off shoe cord at least.

Robert

Adams Serra
05-15-2008, 09:10 PM
Hey Shawn,
The colors are amazing and almost unreal. That is what happens when you live near a nuclear power plant.

Regards,
Adams

Shawn Marques
05-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Hey Shawn,
The colors are amazing and almost unreal. That is what happens when you live near a nuclear power plant.

Regards,
Adams

:eek: Yikes!

Brutus Ostling
05-16-2008, 01:34 AM
I like the image very much, the shadows on the Wing are not particularly disturbing for me. I have never seen them with a green color. (First I was thinking,where in the world have you been? Cattle E. is to be found around the world, but I've never seen or heard of any Green Cattle E., OK, they were in Florida and there was a explanation about the special environment. If they are not dso hard to photograph I am looking forward to seeing more of them.;)

James Shadle
05-16-2008, 12:23 PM
Shawn,
Interesting capture. I like the wing position but would prefer the head closer to parallel.
Very sharp and I love the background!

Just some food for thought on the coloring.
Many times "spray crews", those who spray the roads, government properties, farms etc for pests, use a green die in the spray mixture. This is how they know what areas they have covered.
Cattle Egrets are not so smart. They will get hit with the green die colored spray.

James

Shawn Marques
05-20-2008, 08:19 AM
Shawn,
Interesting capture. I like the wing position but would prefer the head closer to parallel.
Very sharp and I love the background!

Just some food for thought on the coloring.
Many times "spray crews", those who spray the roads, government properties, farms etc for pests, use a green die in the spray mixture. This is how they know what areas they have covered.
Cattle Egrets are not so smart. They will get hit with the green die colored spray.

James

Thanks, James. I knew someone out there might have the answer! It certainly makes sense! ;)