PDA

View Full Version : Flower power squirrel

Neil Burton
03-28-2014, 03:10 AM
I will try again based on comments I had last time. You will notice the background is slightly messy (gravestones, decorations, shadows, sun) which is an argument for the slightly higher perspective of the last shot I posted. But I do like mush, so on my belly I had to be (you should have seen the looks I got when I arrived back in the office!). I only wish I could get a day with some clouds, I really hate shooting in sunlight.

5DIII, ISO400, 200-400 @ f5 400mm. 1/500sec. Handheld

I agree that one single blade of grass could do with being cut! :(

Steve Kaluski
03-28-2014, 03:31 AM
Hi Neil, I think I prefer the previous image, but this captures the 'iconic' pose of the squirrel.

If this isn't FF then a tad more space all round wouldn't hurt I don't think, just feel the subject needs a little more 'air' to breathe. The grass is a wee bit 'yellow' for my tastes, but with the light and new growth, so... Again, personal taste, but some more DoF for me, I feel that f/5 is a little shallow although the head/claws are sharp, could always knock stuff back in PP to get that shallow DoF if required later in parts?

Glad you like the new lens, it is awesome!

TFS
Steve

Neil Burton
03-28-2014, 03:42 AM
To be honest Steve with that BG f8 would have made it a little more messy, you know what I mean? I may have more room on this but pretty sure I cropped something out on the right, and i prefer to keep ratios ;) Thos flowers have really gree stems but the grass is still not summery due to the frosts overnight, obviously with the sun on it it tends to shine and only a CPL could solve that (and who can afford the canon slot in one?)

New lens is really more awsome on the 5DIII, bit disappointed on the 1DIV, honestly, like chalk and cheese. I imagine it was built to be put on a 1Dx though :|

Steve Kaluski
03-28-2014, 04:00 AM
To be honest Steve with that BG f8 would have made it a little more messy, you know what I mean?

But as I said, you could deal with that in PP, however everyone is different and like you, I prefer more 'in camera' than adding more work in PP. I occasionally used those 'drop in' filter, but more hassle IMHO, however I will be testing the new Revo on the 70-200, lets more light through, apparently!!!????

Yep, bolting the lens on the 1DX does make it rear heavy, but a nice feel, Andy likes it, but you all never shift him from Nikon :bg3:.

Neil Burton
03-28-2014, 04:04 AM
Having seen the ISO6400 shots from D4 taken in near darkness I would not move either if I had one. :)

Rachel Hollander
03-28-2014, 08:27 AM
Hi Neil - My first thought on viewing without reading the comments was that you needed a tad more dof to get the tufts and far side of the face in focus. That one blade's placement over the front feet is unfortunate. Nice feel of spring to the image.

TFS,
Rachel

keith mitchell
03-28-2014, 10:07 AM
Neil I also like the mushy effect in front of your Squirrel, it's what ever rocks your boat I suppose, I have got a few shots of them sitting but I don't think they are as good as this of yours, you have great setting here.

Keith.

Anette Mossbacher
03-28-2014, 10:42 AM
Hi Neil,

lovely image and also agree with dog, same impression like Rachel mentioned. Not sure if the BG would than bit more "clear"! I do not own this "Fiat 500" lens, wish I would. maybe some day.
The air to breath, oh yeah, I would love to see that too, but you made your point :bg3:

have a great day

Ciao
Anette

Gabriela Plesea
03-28-2014, 02:18 PM
It's a beauty Neil, and yes I agree that F8 would have been too much but IMHO F6.3 would have done the trick...I do not mind that blade of grass in front of the squirrel's paws, just wanted the tufts and tail more in focus, by just a tad. And the flowers, of course! Still loving this, very sweet pose and attractive colours, crop is great, well done, looking forward to the next one please:w3

Kind regards,

Josh Burrows
03-30-2014, 01:56 PM
Wonderful shot, the natural foreground is really nice, as well as the oranges on the squirrel. It is a shame about that blade of grass going over the paws,

Josh

Neil Burton
03-31-2014, 02:04 AM
Thanks all. Grass needs cutting ;)

Morkel Erasmus
04-01-2014, 10:23 AM
Late to this one Neil - I agree with it needing a hint more space, but I like the overall colours and feel (though I am viewing on the laptop at present).

Yep, bolting the lens on the 1DX does make it rear heavy, but a nice feel, Andy likes it, but you all never shift him from Nikon :bg3:.

Steve, your comment and Neil's about the D4 are confusing me, I thought Andy has switched from N to C already? :Whoa!: (off-topic, I know)

Neil Burton
04-02-2014, 02:38 AM
Depends which Andy we are talking about Morkel ;) Certainly not the old Nikon stallwart we know :)

Thanks for the comment. Waiting for some clouds before I go out again... and until this Saharan dust we have in the air goes away :)