PDA

View Full Version : Trouble when trying to callibrate my lens!

Juan Carlos Vindas
03-27-2014, 06:11 PM
Hello all!

I recently started to try to callibrate my lenses but I have to admit that is not so easy as advertised!
I am working with the Spyder Lenscall by Datacolor. I found that callibrating my 300f/4 was not so difficult but it is not as easy with the 600f/4. I took several pictures, all at the max wide aperture (f/4), then I took notes on what +/- adjustment I was setting on the camera, then I downloaded the images and open them in LR, I started to compare between pictures to find the ''sweet spot'' but I am not able to find huge differences between pictures, am I missing something? what would be the ideal distance to be set with the 600f/4, yes I know the minimum focusing distance is 5.5mts but what would be the right distance so that I can have enough dept of field to be able to judge any meaninful difference?

Thanks a lot for your help! :S3:

JuanK

Miguel Palaviccini
03-30-2014, 08:59 AM
Hi Juan,

The set-up for the lens calibration is what makes or breaks the entire process. A small misalignment (especially if you are very close with the 600) will cause repeatability to go out the window! I forget the general rule of thumb, but your 600 should be a lot further than the minimum focus distance! I know that Artie wrote a good article on how to use Lens Align for calibration. It's not the same system, but I presume that the setup will be very similar.

http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2012/10/10/the-lens-align-mk-ii-the-non-tethered-micro-adjusting-tutorial/

Take the time to get the setup right and you'll be pleased with the results!

Miguel

Juan Carlos Vindas
04-02-2014, 05:48 PM
Many thanks Miguel for your comment. Yes, I will have to start again and get even farther way with the 600!