PDA

View Full Version : Phalaenopsis

Norm Dulak
03-27-2014, 05:21 PM
Canon PowerShot S90, hand held
ISO 400; f/7.1, 1/40 sec.
Standard CS6 adjustments, NR, Crop, some cloning of distracting elements in dark areas

Every year, Longwood Gardens, Kennett Square, Pa, holds an orchid extravaganza. This Phalaenopsis was part of that display.

All C&C are welcome.

Jonathan Ashton
03-28-2014, 09:57 AM
WOW! Love the colours in the flowers. It took a couple of moments to realise that there are some metal stands/brackets in the background. I think the image is so strong it would be worthwhile cleaning up the background some more. Possibly you could apply a little more sharpening to the blooms?

Norm Dulak
03-28-2014, 12:56 PM
WOW! Love the colours in the flowers. It took a couple of moments to realise that there are some metal stands/brackets in the background. I think the image is so strong it would be worthwhile cleaning up the background some more. Possibly you could apply a little more sharpening to the blooms?

Thanks, Jon.

I hope this repost will be more to your liking.

John Robinson
03-28-2014, 04:44 PM
Hi Norm
Second one better. I love these- and grow them (with difficulty!!!)
Cheers
JohnR

Nancy Bell
03-28-2014, 06:07 PM
Awesome colors & elegant shapes! I really like the composition of the orchids and how they appear to dance around each other. I prefer the OP. On the repost I see too much detail in the stone bkgd that distracts from the gorgeous orchids. Does Longmont Gardens allow photographers to slip a black cloth behind the flowers?

Jonathan Ashton
03-29-2014, 03:47 AM
Norm the repost is much better - well done, a lovely image.

Norm Dulak
03-29-2014, 06:08 AM
Awesome colors & elegant shapes! I really like the composition of the orchids and how they appear to dance around each other. I prefer the OP. On the repost I see too much detail in the stone bkgd that distracts from the gorgeous orchids. Does Longmont Gardens allow photographers to slip a black cloth behind the flowers?

Some of the other photographers at Longwood Gardens carry square cards that are black on one side. It's something I hadn't considered that might be a good idea.

Steve Maxson
03-31-2014, 02:14 PM
Hi Norm. Stunning flowers with nice comp, good exposure, and good overall sharpness! You really get the most out that little S90! I prefer the repost - though some of your edits look a little smudged around the edges upon close examination. A black (or green) background - either a card or sheet of velvet would probably work well here. Very nicely done!

Norm Dulak
03-31-2014, 03:45 PM
Thanks, Steve, for all of your comments. And the card is an excellent idea.