PDA

View Full Version : Great BLue Heron

Joseph Przybyla
03-27-2014, 04:16 PM
I was adding titles, captions, and keywords to some of my images and came across this. I liked the look back pose and colors. Comments and critique welcomed. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 VRII AF shot at 300mm (450mm FFE)
1/500 F/8 ISO 180, full frame except cropping to vertical, post processed in Lightroom 5

Jim Crosswell
03-27-2014, 04:33 PM
I like the perch, pose, sharpness and clouds in BG add interest. Light looks like it was getting harsh and I would move the Heron a little to the left of the frame so it has more room to look into. Lakes here are still frozen so no Herons. Nice image Joe.

gail bisson
03-27-2014, 05:50 PM
A good solid image of the GBH.
Nice to get him up off the ground with an uncluttered view of the feet.
The hint of wispy cloud makes the BG nice. I might decrease the exposure by 1/3 and see if you can tone down the white feathers by the beak and throat.
TFS,
Gail

Daniel Cadieux
03-27-2014, 06:59 PM
Looks pretty good overall Joseph. Vertical comp is good although pointing your lens more to the right by about 1/2 inch would have been super. I'd also tone down the midtones a bit. Nice colours and super details.

Sidharth Kodikal
03-27-2014, 08:31 PM
Nice clean image with a pleasant bg, perch and pose. I'd crop slightly from the left and add just a tad more above and below - but comp is a matter of personal preference. TFS Joe, and keep them coming.

Rodney Flowers
03-27-2014, 09:58 PM
I like the pose overall, but I wish the head was turned just a little more towards the camera. It appears as if the head is turned slightly away to me. The soft white clouds in the back ground is nice and the detail in the feathers is good. I would like to see the heron a little closer the left side of the frame.

Jonathan Ashton
03-28-2014, 05:48 AM
Lovely shot I would bring down the brightness a little to enhance contrast and I think the detail would really stand out.

Joseph Przybyla
03-28-2014, 07:56 AM
Thank you all for viewing, commenting and offering suggestions to improve the image. I shall explore your suggestions.

Daniel if you read this... you mentioned maybe pointing the lens more to the right by a 1/2 inch. What did you see to suggest that and how would that have improved the image?

Rob Melone
03-28-2014, 12:52 PM
Nice composition and capture Joe! Good choice with the vertical comp. Nice to see an uncluttered non-flight shot of a GBH. Super work with the 70-300 too!