PDA

View Full Version : Red-breasted Merganser

Jim Crosswell
03-27-2014, 02:32 PM
This was taken at a local creek a couple of days ago. I was out walking the dog when I saw a pair of mergansers in the creek. I ran back to the house for the camera and spent an hour trying to get a good image. This was the best I could get of the male. I wish he turned is head more towards the camera but I still was happy with the image. All C&Cs are welcome and appreciated.

Canon 1D MK IV
500L f4
1.4 Extender
ISO 800
f8
1/2000s
Tripod

John Robinson
03-27-2014, 03:17 PM
Kooks OK to me Jim. I quite like the reflection which is unusual for me !! At least the ripples have broken this one up. Maybe the bird a teeny bit higher in the frame would help but just my personal view.
Nice image whatever.
JohnR

Charles Mills
03-27-2014, 03:44 PM
Looks fine to me too. It's a male Red-breasted Merganser though.

Jim Crosswell
03-27-2014, 03:52 PM
Thanks John and Charles for your comments. I meant to put Red-breasted instead of Common but am unable to change the title now.

Sandy Witvoet
03-27-2014, 04:24 PM
Beautiful, Jim! Little bit higher in the frame would work for me too..... And, BONUS..... I'm 99% sure this is a male Red Breasted Merganser!

Edit: Looks like I posted at about the same time as you and Charles!

Joseph Przybyla
03-27-2014, 04:46 PM
Nice one Jim, effort pays off. I also think a little higher in the frame. Beautiful bird nicely shown.

gail bisson
03-27-2014, 05:52 PM
These are beautiful ducks. I like the gold water and agree with you that a bit of a head turn would have been nice.
If you have the room I would move the duck to the LUC.
Hope you can go back and get some more!
Gail

Daniel Cadieux
03-27-2014, 07:02 PM
I'm OK with the merganser sitting low in the frame like this, but I'd love to see it more to the left. Good looking subject that spooks quite too easily here. I'll go ahead and change the title for ya after this reply...

Jim Crosswell
03-27-2014, 07:09 PM
I'm OK with the merganser sitting low in the frame like this, but I'd love to see it more to the left. Good looking subject that spooks quite too easily here. I'll go ahead and change the title for ya after this reply...

Thanks for changing the title and your comment. The reason I placed the Merganser more central was to keep the circle ring complete around him.
Thanks Gail, Joe and Sandy for your comments and suggestions.

Daniel Cadieux
03-27-2014, 07:12 PM
You're welcome! Another option, if the image is cropped, is to add back some canvas at right. Still a very nice image as is.

Sidharth Kodikal
03-27-2014, 08:36 PM
Love that golden water and the well exposed duck. HA works fine for me. I could see a slight crop from the left, but works for me as is.

Juan Carlos Vindas
03-27-2014, 09:07 PM
Very nice one Jim.
I read some great comments above, also learn from them! Like the plumage and light in this one.

christopher galeski
03-28-2014, 04:26 AM
nice one Jim,love the color and ripples in the water,I would have liked a lower POV,but till a nice image.

David Salem
03-28-2014, 09:47 AM
Great color and detail in this and I dont mind the POV, lets us see some of the reflection. Nice looking drake also. Well done Jim

Jim Crosswell
03-28-2014, 03:19 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. This image is cropped so I will try the different crops suggested and see how they look, I appreciate the input.

Karl Egressy
03-28-2014, 04:06 PM
The head turn is fine with me, Jim. Nice colors and details.