PDA

View Full Version : Lonaconing MD silk mill, #1

Dennis Bishop
03-27-2014, 01:05 PM
I haven't been around for a little while because I attended a Denise Ippolito workshop at the old silk mill in Lonaconing, Maryland. That was sandwiched between shots of ice on Lake Erie on the way there and back. My activity, here, will likely be hit or miss for a while, but I'll show up when I can.

D3S, ISO 400, 9-exposure HDR at 1 EV increments, zoom lens at 48 mm

processing highlights

Topaz Simplify -- modified Watercolor II preset
Alien Skin Snap Art -- modified Watercolor preset, Color blend mode
two Flypaper Textures textures -- one Overlay blend mode at 42% opacity; the other Vivid Light at 55%
five black & white layers, Multiply blend mode -- 3 Fractalius; Snap Art Line Art, masked, 88% opacity; Simplify edges, masked
expanded canvas, flipped a stamped version of the image horizontally, moved it laterally, and cropped from one side
Nik Color Efex -- Darken/Lighten Center
Filter>Liquify downward where the mirror images were joined

Hazel Grant
03-27-2014, 03:51 PM
So very you and so very Denise. Nice processing. Thanks for sharing the steps. Strangely, for me, who inwardly struggles for "balance" I actually like the slightly off center vertical line. Gives perspective and movement.

Nancy Bell
03-27-2014, 05:40 PM
Wow! This is the most creative image I have seen of the silk mill! Great repeating shapes of the spools and then the strike of white/light blue like lightening pulling the image apart! Great metaphor for the collapse of the mill. Very effective & good control of liquify. I usually end up with a total mish-mash. Your images and techniques always impress me and inspire me. Don't be a stranger!

Cheryl Slechta
03-27-2014, 06:30 PM
Hi, Dennis, I've been waiting for a silk mill image and you didn't disappoint me:S3: This is so creative! It seems to emphasize the repetitive aspect of a mill and the chaos and downward spiral of mills at the same time (just my interpretation:S3:). I can hardly wait for more.

Diane Miller
03-28-2014, 09:42 AM
Wonderful! Great light and the Liquify step was a great touch, applied just right!! I'd love to shoot here (and at so many locations I see here on BPN) -- need to move back east for a year, I think!

Judy Howle
03-28-2014, 08:58 PM
Wonderful processing as always Dennis. It's a very striking image. I love the spools and the subtle colors with many shades of brown and rust.

Anita Bower
03-29-2014, 05:03 AM
Love it! Love the lines, the off center flip, the way the lines curve downward, the two colors, the repetition. I love everything about it. Wonderful.

Steve Adkins
04-01-2014, 02:54 PM
Dennis, Really enjoy this image for many reasons. Wonderful graphic quality which transcends location and elements. Your processing is very imaginative and the subtle details like varying the lighting/texture on each reflection shows a master's touch.