PDA

View Full Version : Enchanted Forest

Kerry Perkins
03-26-2014, 11:21 PM
I started working this image by using a tutorial from the sticky at the top of the forum page. It was a tutorial on how to make light rays in Photoshop. If you haven't looked at that thread for a while, you might want to take a look, as there is a wealth of information there. It hasn't been updated in quite a while and I would like to add more workflows and tutorials, free textures, etc. so if any of you would like to contribute just let me know.

After creating the light rays, I took the image into Nik CEP for a couple of filters, then the final touch was Nik Analog Efex. I'm liking that plugin more and more and I'm glad to see others experimenting with it as well. Thanks for looking!

Dennis Bishop
03-27-2014, 11:37 AM
I really like the contrast and lighting in this. Super job with the light rays. I especially like how the strong rays at the top join the the tree with the angled trunk on the left to the one on the right. The dark leaves (or pine needles???) in the top right are very effective in keeping the eye in the image.

Hazel Grant
03-27-2014, 03:49 PM
I'm excited about this because I have a light-in-the-forest photo that needs this type of technique. I'll check the tutorial.

Nancy Bell
03-27-2014, 05:28 PM
The light rays add the magic to this! Very well added, bringing the attention to the dramatic side lighting on the tree trunks and the bright greens of the bushes. The shadows do a great job of framing, as Dennis notes.

Cheryl Slechta
03-27-2014, 06:35 PM
Kerry, the lighting in the understory is gorgeous and the light rays really make the image. I'm enamored with Analog - thanks for pointing the way:S3:

Diane Miller
03-28-2014, 09:39 AM
As Forest Person, I love this image! I wouldn't have known the sunbeams were added. The light and shadows on the undergrowth are jut lovely!

This is one where I'd change the signature to be just the name and move it over to the darker right corner and darken it so it's subtle.

I hadn't seen that tutorial -- will go check it out now. I have an older image with a sunbeam effect that I'll post when I get a minute.

Christopher Miller
03-28-2014, 08:41 PM
Very nice, Kerry! The light is so magical. Forest scenes with light rays is one of my favorite subjects.

Anita Bower
03-29-2014, 05:39 AM
A beautiful, glowing image. I love the warm light! I like that the sunrays are subtle, leaving the emphasis on the beautiful forest. The only thing I would change is lightening the dark area of understory in the lower center, and the bits of tree upper right frame. The light rays fit perfectly into the image.