PDA

View Full Version : Burr Reed

John Robinson
03-26-2014, 04:10 PM
Another from the old film archives taken in the early 80 's Ecktachrome film. Lost a bit in the copying. Same method as hazel pic earlier.
Three small flashes. Pentax SiA
f22 Thats about all I can remember !
Cheers
JohnR

Jonathan Ashton
03-27-2014, 05:17 AM
A really appealing image, I guess I will have to be looking out for some of this plant to experiment with!

John Robinson
03-27-2014, 08:06 AM
Thanks Jon
Won the plant section of the bbc wildlife mag NPOTY as it was then in 1981 I think it was. Only competition I ve ever entered.!
Cheers
John

Jerry van Dijk
03-27-2014, 02:56 PM
Very nice composition on this one, John! I like how the radiating branches accentuate the cloud of pollen. I've never actually seen this species flowering, every time I saw it, it was only bearing fruits.

Nancy Bell
03-27-2014, 04:48 PM
The flashes give this a cool surreal look with bluish pollen & bright greens against the black bkgd! You really captured the pollen release beautifully, exploding around the plant and gently falling down. I suspect you are raising the awareness of the rest of us to be looking for plants that provide pollen opportunities! And congrats for the 1981 recognition!

John Robinson
03-28-2014, 05:29 PM
Thanks Nancy
As some one has kindly pointed out - "Awards are far tougher now compared to years gone bye:w3
They certainly are- and you could say - the gear was not quite what it is now !!:w3:w3:w3
John

Marina Scarr
03-28-2014, 06:06 PM
This is a killer image, John. It's unique, very artistic and I love the black BG. I think it would win a contest now also, and I wonder why you aren't entering contests.

John Robinson
03-28-2014, 07:33 PM
Marina
Thank you. Good question and many answers !
I was involved in many camera clubs in the old days and they all went down the same sel destructing road in the end ""Lets have a competition and maybe we can beat the club in the next town !" It killed it all in the end. I worry that forums are going the same way.
You cannot judge a competition in an un biased way with natural history subjects because eachone has its own problems and they cant be judged side by side on a level footing,. Exotic stuff will win 9 times out of ten and some of us are stuffed in that direction. I will never be able to do it and so that's why I don't bother. "Easier in the old days!!!" I don't think so! You took a shot at 200 ASA and if it was any good you had a party !! I still haven't got a picture of a Short Tailed Field Vole which I would class as decent !!

And when I do - no one will be interested.
Cheers
John

Mitch Haimov
03-28-2014, 09:31 PM
VWD, John! I think this is the strongest of the pollen images you've posted here. Comp, light, and detail all work very well together.

Steve Maxson
03-31-2014, 01:52 PM
A striking image John - and perfect timing on the capture! Very nice comp and the black background works well to show off the pollen. Just wondering if the pollen really was blue-green - or is that an artifact of the lighting and the type of film used?

I would agree with you that it was much harder to get a great shot back in the film days. (I'm old enough to know. :S3: )

John Robinson
03-31-2014, 07:28 PM
Thanks all
Hi Steve- yes it does look a litle green .Could be the film or copying .I'll have a play in Bibble
Is tjhat better
Cheers
John