PDA

View Full Version : Mandarin duck

Mike Poole
03-26-2014, 03:16 PM
Rather than just try and post a series of my best shots, I've gone for a subject that I personally really like and have pretty easy access to, so hopefully any suggestions I get can be acted upon.

I have a real soft spot for Mandarin ducks - they don't look like they belong here in Manchester - and when I walked past them in this strong light I went for something a bit different

Canon 1d3, 400mm f5.6L, ISO 1000, 1/3200th f5.6, 50% crop

Miguel Palaviccini
03-26-2014, 06:54 PM
Hey Mike,

With their array of colors and feathers, I'm not sure they look like they belong anywhere! :)

The strongest part of the image for me is the splash of the water that follows the wings' pattern. The wing position is a bit awkward, but that's not anything you can control.

I'd say keep shooting this guy and see if you can get a bit better head angle. Looking forward to more!

Miguel

gail bisson
03-27-2014, 06:01 AM
I like what you were going for with this image. Good POV.
I wish for a better HA and more detail in the blacks ( which is hard because of the light direction and strength).
I would clone out the specular highlights on the bill.
Looking forward to more images of this beauty in the future.
Try to get them a bit closer ( do you have a 1.4X) by lying on your belly with a camo sheet draped tightly over your tripod to minimize your profile. Also early in the day or later in the afternoon is always better for light,
gail
Gail

Mike Poole
03-28-2014, 02:31 AM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions