Nikon 70-200mm with 2.0 Teleconverter @ 400mm
F5.6
ISO-560
1/750
HH

Your thoughts please...Terry Johnson:S3:

Mike Poole
03-26-2014, 03:54 PM
I'd say this is decent enough as a record shot, you've kept detail in both the whites and blacks which isn't always easy. However, as a photograph, I'd have liked to see more space for the scaup to swim into and getting even further down towards eye level would make a big difference to the end result

Rodney Flowers
03-26-2014, 08:16 PM
You did a good job of keeping the whites from being blown. I like the water drops on the scaup. The angle of the photo looks a little steep to me. It would've been better if you were lower to the ground when taking the picture. If that were possible.

dankearl
03-26-2014, 08:59 PM
Terry,
I am not sure what to make of these photo's you post.
Are you being serious?
This location is so easy to get eye level pleasing photo's of many beautiful duck species, i have no idea why you don't try?
You ask for thoughts and everyone suggests you get lower for these shots and give the ducks a bit of space.
You either just ignore the critiques or you like these, which is fine, however I wonder why you bother to post them
when you know what the critiques will be….
Looking down on these birds is showing no appreciation for them IMO, when it is so simple at this garden to
get eye level photos of them.
Just my 2 cents…..

Rob Melone
03-27-2014, 12:42 PM
It look good Terry. I would try reducing shadows or black level a tad for the head and neck. If you have room, I would open it up which may also help sharpen the image.

gail bisson
03-27-2014, 01:19 PM
Hi Terry,
I like the "shawl" and the iridescence on the head.
This image would be a lot stronger if you could get lower. I live on my belly when shooting from the shoreline. This does 2 things. One, it minimizes your profile so the bird will likely come closer if you are patient and 2. it usually gives you a better BG and a much more intimate picture.
Try it, you'll like it!!:bg3:
(Of course, if you have a physical impairment that prevents you from getting low I take it all back.)
Gail

Terry Johnson
03-27-2014, 05:02 PM
Mike, Rod, Rob, and Gail, thanks for your comments, they are appreciated.

Dan, I have sent you an e-mail off line about your criticism...Terry Johnson