PDA

View Full Version : Snake Hunter

Andre Pretorius
03-26-2014, 02:18 PM
The Secretary Bird hunts on the floor by walking and relying on eyesight to locate prey.

Once located they use their long, strong legs to dispose of the victim.
Prey includes rodents and reptiles. Have witnessed a large Puff Adder going down in few seconds :Whoa!:

Image captured in Southern Kalahari, Botswana.

Nikon D3S with 600F4

1/1600 @ 7,1

ISO 400

Large crop, think IQ can handle it.

C&C welcome. ( had discussion about crop, decided on rule of thirds)

Andre

gail bisson
03-26-2014, 02:40 PM
This is really nice. IQ is excellent and it shows the feather details and crest beautifully.
I love the windswept look and the great light and mottled BG.
This image will elicit many comments re: crop as there are so many nice options.
Personally I would take a bit off the top.
Gail

Raybel Robles
03-26-2014, 02:51 PM
Superb image! Love this kind of portrait shots. I agree with Gail, crop a bit off the top.

well done!

Daniel Cadieux
03-26-2014, 07:34 PM
Beautiful bird and BG! Details look great and a good light angle that gave you nice texture to the feathers. The eye looks very cool. Yes to taking some off the top (and right to retain ratio).

Rodney Flowers
03-26-2014, 07:45 PM
Great light and I love the details of the bird. Again as has already been said I would crop some off the top and a little in front to make it a little more intimate.

Juan Carlos Vindas
03-26-2014, 07:47 PM
Very beautiful secretary! :)
Nice light and l like the sharp eye and the smooth BG. If mine, I would crop tighter to increase the impact given by the eye and bird's face.

Tobie Schalkwyk
03-26-2014, 11:54 PM
Nice one, Andre! One of my favourite birds to watch on the ground as they scan their environment step by step, totally locked up in their own world. Lovely clarity, sharpness & BG! :5

The others said it all re. taking a bit off on the top & right.

Neil Burton
03-27-2014, 03:19 AM
Very cool birds would love to photograph just one. I find there is a bit to much above like tohers have said.

Stu Bowie
03-27-2014, 04:07 AM
Hi Andre, love the IQ and light in this, and you have captured excellent detail. Killer BG too.

There are two of these secretary birds in a local nature reserve close to where I live, but the grasslands are vast, so I dont always get to see them.

Andre Pretorius
03-28-2014, 08:55 AM
Thank you all for comments and suggestions, appreciate it!!

Steve Kaluski
03-28-2014, 12:58 PM
Pretty cool image Andre and the PP is coming along nicely again! Agree on some reduction top & to the RHS.

TFS
Steve