PDA

View Full Version : The Day the Earth Stood Still II

Mark Fuge
03-25-2014, 06:10 PM
This image of the Chicago Bean was posted a few years ago, but I decided to take another look at it with new tools and new vision.

It was processed in Photoshop, Photoshop/Render/Lighting Effects, Topaz Lens Effects, Simplify, and Adjust. I used the Lighting Effects to create the added spotlight coming from the bottom of the "space craft" and shining unto the crowd, as if they were looking into the interior of the craft.

Enjoy!

Jackie Schuknecht
03-26-2014, 10:25 AM
The "bean" is perfect to create this sci-fi mood Mark. Well done.

Cheryl Slechta
03-26-2014, 06:19 PM
Hi, Mark, I remember your other "Bean" image - it was the first time I'd heard of the Bean! This is a great rendition - very "other-worldly" sci-fi vision:S3:

Kerry Perkins
03-26-2014, 11:32 PM
Really cool Mark! I love The Bean, it has virtually limitless possibilities for photographers. I've only ever been there when I was working on a show in Chicago, so I only have some cell phone pics. Would love to get back there with a real camera. I like this movie poster look a lot, good job!

Dennis Bishop
03-27-2014, 11:10 AM
This is an interesting interpretation. I like how the red in the sky follows the shape of the bean.

Randall Farhy
03-27-2014, 01:36 PM
That's very nicely done, reminiscent of artwork for an old movie poster before the type is added.

Nancy Bell
03-27-2014, 05:07 PM
I have never seen this "bean" in person but it looks like it can provide an abundance of possibilities. I really like the skyline captured in it plus the use of the other-worldly orange glow with all else b&w. Agree that it is very sci-fi!

Judy Howle
03-28-2014, 09:16 PM
I've seen photos of the bean without any enhancement so I know what it actually looks like, and I LOVE what you did with it, very cool! I don't even mind the people in it because in this case they add to the composition. Kudos for a very creative effort Mark.

Mark Fuge
03-28-2014, 09:50 PM
Thanks all for viewing and comments, appreciate it. It was a fun image and turned out better than I thought it might.

It is one of the most visited sites in Chicago, so catching it without people is almost impossible, therefore composing them into the image is part of the trick of making it work. Other images that I have had too many people watching me, but here they were not aware of my presence, which added to the image from my perspective.

Anita Bower
03-30-2014, 06:03 AM
Congratulations on third place win on this theme. I'm sorry I missed this fiery and dramatic image.

Mark Fuge
03-30-2014, 09:16 AM
Thanks for viewing and comments Anita, appreciate it. Better late than never as they say! ; > ) Thanks for advising of the win as well, I never would have guessed, as I just threw it out there, having gotten back into processing recently after a bunch of work and computer woes. That one just seemed to come out of the blue, as many do when they seem to be good ones! ; > )