PDA

View Full Version : Formation of a Glacier

Linda Dulak
03-25-2014, 02:35 PM
This image was taken near Neko Harbor in Antarctica. What I like about this image is that it shows just how those glaciers are formed with the wind bringing snow over the top of the mountains and depositing it to form that glacier moving to the ocean. There is actually very little snow in Antarctica (average about 9 inches per year?) but lots of wind which blows it into basins like this. And the colors are like this with a very blue tint to everything when the sun is shining. We had lots of sun and little wind at sea level so it was interesting to see the powerful wind at the tops of the mountains.

D7000, ISO 400, 28-300@28 mm, f7.1, 1/2000 sec, hand held on a moving ship

Comments welcome and desired.

Linda

Norm Dulak
03-27-2014, 03:51 PM
Very nice image and story, Linda. I like the way the darker exposed rock structures on the sides set off those interesting glaciers; the composition is excellent. The image is sharp and the ice texture is well captured. The ice formation about 1/3 of the way in from the left in the foreground adds interest, as does the blue sky with the light clouds and the snow blowing along the rocky ridge. Well done!

Don Railton
03-27-2014, 11:46 PM
Hi Linda,

I think you were a lucky person to have this time in such a beautiful county. I am sure ever shot you took and revisit brings these memories flooding back to you. I do indeed like this shot and as Norm points out the composition is good. Personally, I might have included a little more water and less sky but that's a minor niggle. I would not have wanted to include any wake from the boat in the final cut. As an ex mountaineer I understand and agree with what you say about the colour of the snow having the blue tinge (esp in shadows), happy with that, but the whitest snow should have no bias to any of the three channels IMHO. Not in a position to check this currently...

Well done.

DON

Andrew McLachlan
03-30-2014, 06:40 PM
Hi Linda, I like the way you framed this scene...works very well for my tastes...I would prefer to see a little more detail revealed in the darkest areas of the rocks. Very nice work!

Linda Dulak
04-01-2014, 02:00 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. Yes, it was a beautiful trip and with good weather the entire way.

Andrew: I purposely darkened the rocks to keep the eye on the glacier. I felt if the rocks were lighter, the eye would wander over and around them. You may feel differently.

Linda

Morkel Erasmus
04-08-2014, 02:36 PM
Nice simplistic scene Linda. Would love to travel there one day!
I would agree with Andrew on opening up the blacker areas somewhat...