PDA

View Full Version : Theme Wolf (C)

Andreas Liedmann
03-25-2014, 01:35 PM
Hello just another Zoo shot taken during my winter tour through the Zoos where i live.
This Zoo has got a nice enclosure for 4 wolves , looking relatively natural , at one point there is no fence just a water pond between the wolves and the visitors.I got lucky with the weather - sun was out.But i had to pay the contrast price , a lot of HL and SH in the enclosure.

Techs
EOS 1Dx
Ef 200-400 IS L with engaged 1,4 TC at 560 mm
Tripod

F 5,6 / Iso 1600 / 1/800 sec

Crop 60 % of FF for comp

Processing in Photo Ninja and PS CC

Hope you like it , C&C very welcome

Cheers Andreas

Gabriela Plesea
03-25-2014, 02:08 PM
Dear Andreas,

As much as I like your subject here, I am also very taken with the BG-a carpet of colourful leaves and it reminds me of autumn in Europe during my childhood. I am wondering what happened if you tried a close-up as well, this image IQ is great and it can handle it for sure!

When I was about 23 years of age I worked for a construction company in Germany and lived in Berlin - I remember going to visit the Zoo and I was quite impressed with the setup and the great condition the animals were in; the space they were given was very similar to their natural environment, and this was so different from what I saw in Eastern Europe at the time. Thank you for sharing this image, apart from the usual IQ I always expect from you, I enjoyed seeing this animal looking so alert and so healthy, lovely image and well presented, sharp where it counts and the colours are spot on as far as I am concerned...

Warmest regards,

Marc Mol
03-25-2014, 04:43 PM
That's gotta be the fattest well fed Wolf I've ever seen.:bg3:
Good detail in the fur, might just take down the highlights some more on RHS face. Have you tried Nik detail for this, with just a small % it's very effective.:w3

Rachel Hollander
03-25-2014, 07:06 PM
Hi Andreas - very nice looking wolf. The comp works and I too like the bg. Shooting at zoos often makes it very difficult to get a good light angle. I too think you can still bring out a bit more detail in the highlights on the side of the face and there's also a slight yellow cast to that side of the face. I didn't realize that you were using the 200-400, congrats.

TFS,
Rachel

Andre Pretorius
03-26-2014, 11:09 AM
Hi Andreas

Very difficult image to process.
Eyes form the anchor of this image, comp from there on.
Have to include some of the fallen leaves to show BG in natural environment.

I would have liked a lower angle to include a bit more of the open muzzle to add some reds in image.

Andre

Steve Kaluski
03-26-2014, 11:57 AM
Hi Andreas, the image conveys the nice winter sun, mid to late afternoon perhaps, so as presented I would leave the H/S as is, go way from this and I feel you will lose the scene/time of day. Yes, going lower would have been better, likewise I find the framing is a bit awkward, however if this is cropped then there might be an alternative? Would have liked more DoF, nose is good but the eyes look a little off IMHO?? The LH ear & below as viewed looks soft (blurry/NR) compared to fur around the ear, a masking issue?? I do like the silver, 'salt & pepper' coat set against the fallen reds of the leaves.

Wolves are hugely intelligent animals and like others, quite often misunderstood IMHO, would enjoy photographing them one day.

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
03-26-2014, 12:47 PM
Thanks to all of you for your comment, as always appreciated .
Rachel and Marc for my liking i think there is just enough detail in the HL and the colors are good for my eyes like wise, HL lit by afternoon sun should /can have a cast , from my POV.
Steve going down for a lower POV not possible , was already on my butt and shooting slightly downwards as you can see.The BG is a slight uphill ridge , so no way to get a wider view for a more diffuse BG.Crop i need suggestion from you what you like to see ? Room is there to bottom ,LHS and TOP.
The legs are cut off , sadly .
I also would have liked more DOF, next time. Eyes off, in what way ? I opened up the eyes and added a slight clarity to them , like wise the nose.Agree about the blurriness next to ear, masking issue i think.No NR to the subject, just slightly to BG .I used negative clarity to the BG.

Thanks for watching , Andreas

Andreas Liedmann
03-26-2014, 12:51 PM
Rachel the Panda was shot with the same toy, but any way thanks a very good investment i made with the lens.

Andreas

Steve Kaluski
03-26-2014, 01:22 PM
Andreas, I meant to add, being in a confinement such as a zoo, angles, POV etc are very difficult and you need to really work hard to get anything, so appreciate your frustration.

Cropping is a difficult one, fire off a JPEG FF and gladly take a look, but think you perhaps made the most.

Eyes just look a little soft, but that could be a culmination of DoF, ISO, cropping etc, but don't get hung up about it, again, it's just a comment/observation. :S3:

Andreas Liedmann
03-26-2014, 01:50 PM
Steve get you right about comment/observation , no need for that extra clarification , it is a straight forward image :w3.Just say what`s "wrong" with the eyes , and i am ok.:S3:.

Andreas Liedmann
03-26-2014, 02:38 PM
Steve - POV it is not only an issue in Zoos i think. Remember when you shoot out of a car and the subject is close ,or standing/laying in a ditch?.I mean in a lower point in the landscape. Or shooting PB in Svalbard ? Same issue.So we all fight this problem in various locations .And not al the time we have the options to move cause of restrictions or potential danger for ourselves ,i.e. PB on foot.

Andre thanks for your comment , but i need translation for your words. Honestly i do not understand what you mean ,in context. Sorry .

Cheers Andreas

Gabriela Plesea
03-26-2014, 03:07 PM
Hi Andreas

Very difficult image to process.
Eyes form the anchor of this image, comp from there on.
Have to include some of the fallen leaves to show BG in natural environment.

I would have liked a lower angle to include a bit more of the open muzzle to add some reds in image.

Andre

Hello Andreas, can I be the translator here for Andre? He just switched off his Apple and jumped into feathers (went to sleep)

I think what Andre meant was something along these lines: " Difficult image to work on, because you had to focus on the eyes of your subject when processing, and to try to compose in such a way that no impact was lost. Therefore the cropping here had to be done ensuring that the eyes remained the focal point of the image" . Also, I think Andre meant to say that " ...you (Andreas) included the leaves in order to create a more natural environment" . He would have liked "...to see this image taken at a lower angle so that the open mouth (muzzle) with that redness of the tongue could become more visible, more striking against the grey fur...".

Sorry to hijack your conversation here- unlike me, Andre can be brief, sometimes too brief:bg3:

Nite-Nite Andreas, have a great day tomorrow!:wave:

Andreas Liedmann
03-26-2014, 03:40 PM
Gabriela thanks for the translation,as i explained to Steve , just show Andre what i answered :w3. The place where i took the image was the only option where i can get low and having a "uncluttered " BKG.
But i understand his points and i am fine with them…………. tell him.
I could go tighter for more impact on the head, but in this case i can live with it as is.I like the lightning and the BKG , if i go tighter i would loose some of that content.

Cheers and a lekker slaap, Andreas

Anette Mossbacher
03-26-2014, 04:28 PM
Hi Andreas,

I make it short after reading all this. I do like it very much and lots has been said already. The details are great as usual from you :bg3:

Since Germany has so many wolves running "wild"we should check that out. :bg3: Have some strings to the Jagdverband :w3

have a great eve

Ciao
Anette

keith mitchell
03-27-2014, 08:15 AM
Andreas the face of the animal is so good I wonder about a closer crop showing more of that excellent detail,just a thought.

Keith.

Andreas Liedmann
03-27-2014, 09:16 AM
Thanks Anette and Keith for your comments and thoughts.

Anette never heard of decent or professional images taken of wolves ( wild ones) in good old Germany. The ones i have seen looked all odd.Besides some footage taken professionally in Eastern Germany , but think they habituated them for this, or played tricks with us , who watched the footage.

Thanks and Cheers Andreas