PDA

View Full Version : Lighthouse converted

Terry Johnson
03-24-2014, 11:31 PM

This image was taken in the daytime and converted to an evening shot. The lighthouse light was added as was the beam shining into the night.

Olympus point and shoot
ISO-64
1/800 sec
F4
14.1 mm
HH

It was fun, your comments please...Terry Johnson:S3:

Hazel Grant
03-25-2014, 10:19 AM
Interesting technique. Might make a good pano shot. the halo around the mtns adds definition.

Jackie Schuknecht
03-25-2014, 10:45 AM
Great mood, and well done conversion to night. I like that ominous looking lighter cloud and the rim lighting on the trees too.

Nancy Bell
03-25-2014, 12:15 PM
A very effective conversion. You certainly added a deep dark night feel & emotion to a probably innocence original capture! I would consider cropping just below that smaller light cloud near the top. That little bit of extra light pulls some attention away from the spectacular large whitish clouds and the well placed spot light. I also like that blue rim lighting setting off the silhouetted island.

Terry Johnson
03-25-2014, 01:24 PM

Hello, a couple of you suggested I crop the image. I have done so. let me know what you think...Terry Johnson:5

Kerry Perkins
03-25-2014, 04:53 PM
Hi Terry, personally I think the crop of your repost is great. This is a very interesting image and shows a lot of creativity and processing skill. Very nice, hope to see you here more often!

Terry Johnson
03-25-2014, 05:02 PM

Hello, I revised the image again adding a little more exposure to the entire image with the exception of the lighter clouds.

Let me know what you think...Terry Johnson:e3

Nancy Bell
03-25-2014, 05:31 PM
Terry, I often do several different renditions of my images, just to see a variety of possibilities. Both reposts are good.

Mark Fuge
03-25-2014, 06:19 PM
Nice image and work from what must have been the original. I like your last one, as it seems a little more realistic, but that doesn't have to be your goal. Whatever your vision is what it right for you. Both of the cropped versions are good.

Cheryl Slechta
03-26-2014, 06:25 PM
Hi, Terry, I think I like the first cropped image the best. I was going to suggest a crop from the bottom but I like the top and bottom cropped because it focuses your attention on the most important elements of the image, including that wonderful cloud in the right sky. You did a nice job of adding the light and beam too:S3:

Christopher Miller
03-26-2014, 08:35 PM
Very nice technique, Terry! The lighthouse beam really makes the image work for me. I like the darker cropped image best, maybe with just the beam brightened a little bit.

Dennis Bishop
03-27-2014, 11:02 AM
I think cropping, at least from the bottom, was a good modification. I like the light in the bottom of the original, especially because it pretty much lines up with the lighthouse and could be seen as resulting from the light. I'd suggest grabbing a rectangle from the bottom and moving it up to the shoreline for the cropped version. It's already been noted, but that rim lighting adds a lot to the image.