PDA

View Full Version : Someday I will be as big as mommy... Great Egret and Chick

Joseph Przybyla
03-23-2014, 01:52 PM
I captured this image at Gatorland in Orlando, Florida last Friday morning.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF shot at 300mm (450mm FFE)
1/800 F5.6 ISO 100 -1 1/3 EV

Randy Stout
03-23-2014, 03:37 PM
Joe:

Very sweet. Not easy to work with dappled light, but the lighting on the chick makes it work well. Overall, nicely exposed.

Bit squarish crop, but given the shooting constraints of that location, a nice compromise.

Cheers

Randy

Bill Dix
03-23-2014, 04:56 PM
Works beautifully for me. The dappled light effectively pushes the parent into the background, as a framing device for the wonderful chick. Square comp (usually not a favorite of mine) works nicely with the chick at the ROT corner. Well seen and captured.

gail bisson
03-23-2014, 05:26 PM
The chick alone scores 10 out of 10 for cuteness factor and excellent IQ.
Comp works for this situation.
I would clone out the little bits of bird droppings on the stick below the chick.
Did you do some cloning work around the chicks' beak? It looks fine but I think I see something not quite right in that area. If I am wrong I apologize,
gail

Joseph Przybyla
03-23-2014, 05:32 PM
Joe:

Very sweet. Not easy to work with dappled light, but the lighting on the chick makes it work well. Overall, nicely exposed.

Bit squarish crop, but given the shooting constraints of that location, a nice compromise.

Cheers

Randy

Thanks Randy, I appreciate you viewing and commenting. I tried other crops, the square just seemed to work better in this instance and brought attention to the chick.

Joseph Przybyla
03-23-2014, 05:32 PM
Works beautifully for me. The dappled light effectively pushes the parent into the background, as a framing device for the wonderful chick. Square comp (usually not a favorite of mine) works nicely with the chick at the ROT corner. Well seen and captured.

Thanks Bill, I very much appreciate you viewing and commenting.

Joseph Przybyla
03-23-2014, 05:35 PM
The chick alone scores 10 out of 10 for cuteness factor and excellent IQ.
Comp works for this situation.
I would clone out the little bits of bird droppings on the stick below the chick.
Did you do some cloning work around the chicks' beak? It looks fine but I think I see something not quite right in that area. If I am wrong I apologize,
gail

Hello Gail, thank you for viewing and commenting. You have excellent eyes Gail. There was a leg from the other parent that extended from the neck of the adult egret in frame to the chicks beak. I cloned that out. I will revisit it to blend it in better. Here is what I was working with before cloning.

Satish Ranadive
03-24-2014, 01:14 AM
Fantastic image.

Regards,
Satish.

dankearl
03-24-2014, 09:32 PM
The chick and the spotlight effect is very nice.
I did not notice the cloning until pointed out.

Troy Lim
03-24-2014, 10:32 PM
Not an easy way to crop in this image. Did you darken the BG? I am not crazy about the sudden dark BG on the right side of the frame.

Joseph Przybyla
03-26-2014, 06:36 AM
Not an easy way to crop in this image. Did you darken the BG? I am not crazy about the sudden dark BG on the right side of the frame.

Hello Troy, thank you for viewing and commenting, I didn't darken the BG on the right side. I think the exposure for the bright white in the sun made the shadows go dark.