PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Mojave Desert wildflower bloom

Kerry Perkins
03-22-2014, 07:06 PM
I went out to the desert a few days ago, following up on a tip from a fellow photographer, and found this wonderful carpet of Mojave Coreopsis. I was quite surprised, since we are in the middle of the three driest years in history. We did have one storm, that dumped rain for three days, but that's probably going to be all we get this year. It is getting to be a serious problem but nature prevails as always. Nik Detail Extractor and Topaz Clean used on this four-image pano. It's hard to get a sense of scale in the desert, but it is about three miles to Saddleback Butte, which is that group of hills in the right half of the frame.

Nancy Bell
03-23-2014, 08:25 AM
Wow! That massive carpet of flowers is amazing. Beautiful flow of yellow that draws my eye to the horizon and then to the right taking in the Joshua trees and those mountains.

Jackie Schuknecht
03-23-2014, 08:52 AM
Probably not something you see everyday Kerry. The coreopsis draws you to the tree and the mountains. Nicely composed, I wonder about a slight crop of the sky to put more emphasis on the land.

Paul Lagasi
03-23-2014, 09:18 AM
Wow...I drove from Lake Havasu to Salton Sea last December and their wasn't a hint of color anywhere, just lots of great scenery. It shows how resilient nature can be. Nicely composed image, the yellow is awesome.

Cheryl Slechta
03-24-2014, 08:10 AM
Kerry, the composition is great - and it's great to see you out in the countryside again :) Amazing colors leading right through the scene.