PDA

View Full Version : Great Egret

susanschermer
05-15-2008, 12:46 PM
I know you all are picky about head/wing non-separation, but on this photo I think it works. What are your thoughts?
Early AM. 1D Mark III, 70-200 with 1.4, ISO800 f/5 1/2500 exp comp -1/2 stop.

Shawn Marques
05-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Hi Susan. I like the "M" shape of the wings and POV of the egret and the detail in the eye and head area are fantastic. As mentioned, it's a shame about the lack of separation of the head/body. I would like to see more detail in the blacks, especially the feet. There seems to be a slight yellow/green colorcast in the shadows- perhaps some adjustments can be made there. Also, the halo around the legs and feet from sharpening are very strong. Still, it's a pleasant image and enjoyed it a lot. Best regards

Juan Aragonés
05-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Excellent pose and exposure. I am not sure about the composition because the bird is too much centerd but a fantastic image all around. well done

susanschermer
05-15-2008, 02:23 PM
This image was captured a few seconds later. In this one the separation is there, but I don't like it as much as the first. As to the composition, I liked it centered. Rules are for breaking, no?

Juan Aragonés
05-15-2008, 02:48 PM
This image was captured a few seconds later. In this one the separation is there, but I don't like it as much as the first. As to the composition, I liked it centered. Rules are for breaking, no?
Totally agree, rules are for breaking :)
The second image is nice to. I am amazed that the people living in Florida can made images like this one just with a 70-200 lens. I have seen a lot of that kind of images but, wow, you are lucky. In Spain i would need a 3000mm lens to have one like this :D

Doug Brown
05-15-2008, 08:42 PM
In Spain i would need a 3000mm lens to have one like this :D

Same in New Mexico Juan! Susan, it was nice getting to speak with you earlier today. I like the wing position in the first photo and the head position in the second. Perhaps ROT could show you how to quick mask head 2 onto body 1! :)