PDA

View Full Version : Theme Bad Hair Day

Nancy Bell
03-22-2014, 01:24 PM
Another Mt. Goat from Mt. Evans, Colorado. These goats shed their heavy coats in huge hunks during the summer. I imagine the coats get mangled and dirty in their attempt to rub them off. But the process does make for some amusing images!

Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS @ 70mm, 1/500, f10, exp. comp. +1/3, ISO 400

Comments and critiques most appreciated.

Loi Nguyen
03-22-2014, 11:58 PM
Hi Nancy, bad hair day indeed. You must be inches from this guy at 70mm! Good exposure, details, sharpness. Id suggest a little more sharpening in the nose area. If you have room at the top, I'd wish for a little more room. Overall an excellent portrait. TFS. Loi

Don Railton
03-23-2014, 06:24 AM
Hi Nancy, never seen a goat with dreadlocks before....! Very cool. Nice fun image...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rachel Hollander
03-23-2014, 08:06 AM
Hi Nancy - What a great look at a goat with character! Excellent job on the exp and detail. I like the dof and think the frame filling works well here. There's a very slight blue tint coming through so I would drop the blues. Overall, nice one!

TFS,
Rachel

Tobie Schalkwyk
03-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Shame on you Nancy - instead of helping the embarrassed animal, you photographed it! :w3

Nice moment perfectly caught on camera!

Andre Pretorius
03-23-2014, 03:29 PM
Wonderful capture Nancy.

The goat looks like some Kalahari Gemsboks that has a hairdo of creepers and other plants! (will post image later..)

Lots of detail in blacks AND whites.

Do I see a bit of halo on top of horns?

Love the bulging red eyes.:bg3:

Nancy Bell
03-24-2014, 11:32 AM
Thank you everyone! Andre, I wonder if what you see as a possible halo near the horns is some of those bright, blurred rocky patches intersecting with the horns?

Andreas Liedmann
03-24-2014, 12:00 PM
Hi Nancy ,
Bob Marley came back …………. in a white coat.
Good portrait shot , full of character i think.Detail, sharpness , tones and colors all are playing together quite well.Nice 3D look.
Only suggestion i have is backing of the contrast in the BG and you will have a more popping out of the frame for the goat , WDYT? Negative clarity would help i think.

TFS Andreas

Andre Pretorius
03-24-2014, 12:08 PM
Hi Nancy

I have tried to the pencil tool to show the areas. I too struggle with black areas that reflect white. Maybe my eyes are not trained enough, but to me it looked white against the black horns.

Would appreciate your take.

Andre

Andreas Liedmann
03-24-2014, 12:14 PM
Hi Andre , this is no halo, it just a light reflection on the horns, just checked in PS.

Nancy Bell
03-25-2014, 11:17 AM
Andreas, I have never tried negative clarity, but I see what you mean about the bkgd and will try. Andre, I see what you were looking out now and I think Andreas is correct that it is light reflection. Thanks everyone for your thoughtful comments and suggestions!

Steve Kaluski
03-25-2014, 11:21 AM
Hi Nancy, I might again look to converting to a Quad tone, might just move it along, as the colour for me needs a bit more variation in Lights to Darks. The 'wool' covering the forehead & horn I also feel could do with some more USM.

Andre, I agree with Andreas, it's just the light, no halo.

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
03-25-2014, 03:16 PM
Love the shaggy look Nancy!
Regarding "negative clarity" - I like to often drag the clarity slider down by about -30 to soften the surroundings up nicely. I will then use the LR adjustment brush to paint clarity back onto the subject carefully and selectively (it helps to switch on the mask overlay button at the bottom so you can see what you're brushing). I'd set that clarity up to about +50, giving you a net effect of +20 clarity on the subject and -30 on the BG.
:5

Nancy Bell
03-25-2014, 05:28 PM
Thanks for more suggestions, guys!

Anette Mossbacher
03-25-2014, 05:46 PM
HI Nacy,

that must have been Monday for this one. Great look and hair due, need the address of the hairdresser :S3:

I have read all comments and was wondering a bit. Maybe it comes from my early days juggling a camera! My very first impressions was, why did you not go down more in your knees?
Just a thought! Maybe the BG was in the way or whatever.
I was thinking, when we take images of little kids we go down in our knees.
As said just a thought which jumped in my head :bg3:

have a great eve

Ciao
Anette