PDA

View Full Version : A real painting challenge

Kerry Perkins
03-21-2014, 12:49 PM
It seems that fur is quite a challenge for the mixer brush, but I have been creating my own brushes for this treatment and I think I'm closing in on a good solution. Different mixer brushes used for the background and Mike the dog. Two textures applied to the final image.

Jackie Schuknecht
03-21-2014, 01:52 PM
Really nice brushwork on the fur Kerry and I like the texture.

Kerry Perkins
03-21-2014, 02:21 PM
Thank you Jackie! One thing I wanted to mention about this technique is that there is no selection involved, by which I mean that in this image the dog is not isolated from the background - it is a matter of blending the foreground and background so that you don't see a sharp edge. One technique I use is that of "pulling" the fur away from the body so it looks like a real brush did it. Of course there are different styles, but for this image that was my intent. If you are doing a watercolor with ink edges that is a different story, but the goal is the same - to paint as if everything is on the same canvas layer as you would with a real painting.

Gabriela Plesea
03-21-2014, 03:56 PM
Love the textures here Kerry, stunning canvas! And a big Thank You for explaining how you achieved this effect, much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Nancy Bell
03-21-2014, 05:58 PM
This is super! I see what you mean about "pulling the fur away from the body", looks natural. Great lighting on the dog, wonderful pose, interesting bkgd. Mike's owners should be thrilled with this! I like this one best of your "paintings" so far. In full disclosure, I am a true sucker for dogs.

Judy Howle
03-22-2014, 06:49 PM
You did a great job on the fur and the background, and blending them together. Mike has a nice pose too. A very nice painting!

Paul Lagasi
03-23-2014, 04:23 PM
When I force my dog to sit like this for a photo, I normally get the same expression. It's almost like the dog is thinking, "how much longer do I have to sit like this"
Very nice painting...this really looks like it was painted, well done.

Cheryl Slechta
03-24-2014, 08:20 AM
Kerry, Mike the dog looks like my Buddy the dog:S3: Beautiful painting techniques, beautiful background and Mike is beautiful!

Mark Fuge
03-26-2014, 04:47 PM
Very nice image and application, Kerry. The painting effect is very nicely done. Having had a sheltie, I appreciate the flowing of the fir and maintaining the effect of the individual hairs. Nice job!:cheers:

Mitch Carucci
04-03-2014, 02:42 PM
Love your painting technique. Works really well on this image.